The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in building a Flintlock shotgun, would like to do either a 410 or 28 gauge. Any advise?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I just finished a TVM in 20 gage. I had the barrel jug choked full ...supposed to be good to 40 yards. I'll start working a load up soon. Cost me around 500 bucks for the kit. Track of the Wolf is a good place to start looking for parts. The only problem is alot of the things I'd like to get for my next project are on back order.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Dixon's sells smootbore barrels, locks and triggers are the same for all flintlocks. Chambers Colonial or early Ketland is a good choice, Chuck sells both. He has butt plates and trigger guards. I just bought wads and shot from him. Except for the stock, what else do you need. Dave Keck and Fred Miller both have fowler patterns.

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
I was speaking with Greg a few weeks ago and I told him that the kit I ordered from Chambers in November has not arrived yet. All I have is the barrel and breach plug. Anyhow, I am on the verge of canceling the remainder of the order and building a gun with the parts I can get from Dixon's. I hate to do this, but I have been waiting almost 5 months for the stock and lock (and furniture) from Chambers. It's a swamped Rice Barrel and apparently Greg does not have stocks that would work on them. I believe he mentioned Dave as possible source though. Problem is, this is my first build and I need all the advantages I can get. Then again, something in my head is saying to go for it. Make sure you are right, then go ahead. Sound familiar?

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
You may want to check out Brad Emig (Cabin Creek Muzzleloaders). He has a great looking and shooting smoothbore flint fowler that he builds. It should be available in a finished rifle,in the white or a kit gun. He is not that far from Snyder Co. Just "down the river" in Hellam.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts