The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Flint only season

5K views 39 replies 25 participants last post by  mountainman09 
#1 ·
How long do you think that the flintlock only season will stay that way and not admit the inline rifles? I think it's coming pretty soon and really hate to see the last part of the old PA regulations changed.

Maybe the flintlocks should be included in the archery season if we share with the inlines after Christmas. I doubt many people would buy a new flinter if they could use an inline (other than me of course) in that season. What do you think share the archery season and share with inlines later. More season for my flinters; OH YEAH.

#3 ·
Personally, I think out existing flinter season will stay the way it is for some time and I hope it does.

With that said, I do believe that we will see some kind of a push for muzzleloader hunters(all types) to get a whack at some antlered deer at some point in their own season as many states already allow.

#8 ·
personally, i could care less about using a flint in the early season. how many other flintlock hunters really care to hunt that time of year? i'am sure the inline crowd will get into the late season at some point, so all we can do is enjoy what we have now and try to keep it as is for as long as we can.

#9 ·
I do enjoy toting my flintlock during the early season. When we head upstate to Tioga Co.(if we drew 2G tags), we're three generations of family flintlock toters. I find it hard to take a nap when it's 20° and snowing!

I'll continue to strongly support our Flintlocks Only season because that is indeed a special time of year for Pennsylvania hunters and their flint and steel smoke poles.

#11 ·
I never understood the cry for an early flintlock or muzzy antlered season as we already have a firearms season in which to use both. If it is ever implemented it's going to be the same as rifle season only earlier as hunter numbers for that hunt will skyrocket.

I don't see the late season ever changing to inlines as it's supposed to be a low impact season, which it is. Some will argue there is no difference between the two weapons but that is bunk.

#12 ·
Myself, I'd love to be able to hunt antlered Deer the first 2 weeks or so of Nov. whish would be the last 2 weeks of Archery ? Archers get 6 weeks ? to take a Buck prior to rifles. Would it hurt for archer's to let us (flinters) share in the last 2 weeks of their season ? Aren't flinters pretty much as traditional a weapon as there is going right now ?

Everybody has wants and opinions. That just happens to be mine.

#13 ·
Sure they're a traditional weapon. A little more range than a bow or crossbow for the most part. I still say if it were to happen it would just be like rifle season, maybe more so.

The whole purpose of the early muzzy season was to help with the harvest of antlerless deer. I'm not sure when or why this other line of thinking came along. With the inclusion of crossbows, nobody is left out of archery season unless they don't want to participate due to their own stubbornness.

I want to hunt bucks in velvet in August. When do I get that?

#14 ·
Relax. Joining you (archer ?) with a flinter to hunt the archers sacred rut, won't result in an abundance of buck being killed. My guess is that most guys that would take a flinter, would be crossover types anyhow. Meaning they also archery hunt, but chose to take a flinter on a given day instead.

#15 ·
My flinter is a "traditional" ,45 cal, 40" barrel, open iron rear and brass front sight, PRB over FFF BP.

Not as many traditional flinters out there anymore as there are not many traditional archers out there anymore but that's O.K. if that's their choice, just don't tell folks that a compound bow is a traditional bow.

I love hunting in the primitive season, it is more a time to reflect on our past and also enjoy time together with like minded folks. IMO It is not about the kill it is about the hunt.

One thing for sure, you find out why there was not many fat indians

#16 ·
Fleroo said:
Relax. Joining you (archer ?) with a flinter to hunt the archers sacred rut, won't result in an abundance of buck being killed. My guess is that most guys that would take a flinter, would be crossover types anyhow. Meaning they also archery hunt, but chose to take a flinter on a given day instead.
I think it would become a very popular season and many would participate unless it was limited to a lottery drawing as has been suggested by some. At that point is it about managing the resource or just creating a novelty for money? Other than the early youth and senior rifle season, which again is to help out with antlerless harvests, no other antlered deer season has a limit on participation.

With the after Christmas hunt, which is intended to be low impact, adding inlines would have the same effect in my opinion. More hunters and it would just be another rifle deer season.

#20 ·
Personally the normal deer season you can hunt with whatever you want to personally I carry my flinter during "rifle" season unless the weather is really bad. Shooting a deer with a rifle has got too easy at times point and click. Hunters are able to use a flinter inline bow crossbow etc... During the "rifle" season if he/she wants too. But please don't mess with the "traditional" season

#22 ·
If you hunt all seasons that are currently available with the weapons that are permitted, you have more than two months to hunt deer. There is no valid reason to change the late Flintlock season..

#23 ·
410-er said:
They probably would expand the eary season before they mess with the traditional late season.
Late season should be
NO ORANGE
wood stocks
blackpowder
open sights
flints
and patched RB's
Even though I have a conical/sabot 28/1 twist flintlock in addition to my roundball rifles I too would like to see it put back to patched ball only. Sabots work better for deer in my opinion but I still prefer the ball.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.