The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off let me say I have never hunted with a flint lock muzzleloader. I am thinking of having a custom gun made for this purpose and have a few questions.

Are red dot type sights without magnification considered telescopic?

And is a bullet in a sabot considered to be a single projectile (I assume it is just want to be sure before I spec a fast twist barrel)?

From the hunting digest:
Flintlock Muzzleloader Season: Flintlock ignition, single-barrel long gun, 44 caliber or larger, or 50 caliber or larger handgun, using single projectile ammunition. It is unlawful to use telescopic sights. Peep sights are permitted.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I think the concensus will be that a red dot would be deemed illegal in a field check but I'm not sure. If a red dot is illegal then telescopic is a poor choice of words and might be beat in court. The definition of a legal muzzleloader kind of ignores the existance of a 1x scope and red dots putting them in a gray area as the definition of a telescope implies magnification. There is a missing step that is simply not addressed at all by stating the legal threshold is somewhere between peep and telescope. Other states use better wording by including terms like non-magnifying optics. The statute could state that non-magnifying optics are either included or not in the legal or illegal side.

Really don't think sabots would be considered anything other than single projectile as there is no difference in the purpose of a sabot as compared to a cloth patch or wad exiting the barrel.

·
Banned
900 Posts
Well said TGriz. I would agree.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the time to read and answer. I just emailed the GC for clarification. I will post their answer

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A very fast answer from the GC....

1) No scopes are permitted; only peep sights and open V-notch sights.

2) Yes, sabotted bullets are considered single projectile, as the sabot falls off the bullet shortly after leaving the barrel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts