The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok still a newbie here. Had my gun to Dixons several times ( 50 cal T/C Hawken) and he insists the frizzen is ok. However my flint life is pretty short, they last about 5 shots until they basically begin flaking apart and they stop sparking. These are the good ones from Dixons too. How long should a flint last?

·
Super Moderator
12,807 Posts
my guess is that you have an old style lock on that TC which had a poor hammer angle...

if thats the case, call TC and tell them its eating flints and sparking poorly and your frizzen is good and send it in with a note saying the same....they will update it and send it back free of charge...

i gotta send mine when i am done hunting with it for the season....

doesnt matter what flint you use with that bad hammer angle, its going to eat through the flints in a hurry...

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
5 shots is not nearly enough. That would drive me crazy.

FWIW, I buy and use English Knapped Flints in my T\C flinter. I haven't counted....but I'm going to say I get about 30 to 50 shots before I have to Knapp the flint and get further life out of it.

In addition....being a flinter for some time, I've purchased about 5 additional frizzens for my T\C. The T\C frizzens are not heat treated all the way through, so when the thin outer skin is worn off, they will quit sparking. Then I will replace it with a new one.

So...when I have 2 or 3 "bad" frizzens, I will send them to T\C with a note telling them they are bad, and they replace them for free.

But, I've had my best luck with these English Knapped Flints.

FWIW

Dave

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
Old style on top.
New on bottom.
Note the difference above the hammer screw.

·
Registered
12,269 Posts
With a proper lock and flint, they can last to 100 shots. I personally have gotten more than that with a well tuned lock on a smooth bore trade gun.

Flints breaking can be caused by poor lock geometry, improper placement of the flint or even by case hardened frizzens that are starting to wear through the hard layer. TC makes what is generally a first rate gun, except for their flint locks. the quality of the frizzen steel should be better, so they don't need to be case hardened.

A quality lock, like an L&R can be fired hundreds of times without showing grooves and marks on the frizzen face.

Optimum flint locks have a special angle to hold the flint as well as an arc that maximizes striking the arc of the frizzen face to throw lots of sparks.

I prefer the dark gray English flints. But I pick them out myself. Hold them up to the light and inspect for cracks. Make sure they are a uniform translucent color with no muddy areas. I can pick though five or ten flints for every one I choose. It makes a difference in the life of the flint. Don't just buy something on a blister card at Walmart and expect long life.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
410-er. Great pic.....And there is a big difference in the angle of the strike.

But even if your using the "old style" (I have 2 T\C's...one with the old style and one with the new) your flint should last much longer than 5 shots.

If you look at 410-er's pic, that top one seem's to have an English Knapped flint in it. Tougher to tell with the bottom one...but it appears to be English Knapped as well.

Dave

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
French Amber top and Black English bottom.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really hard to tell any difference, I even held the gun up to the computer screen. Old and new look exactly the same

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Talon.....

If you look at the screw (as 410-er has said)(The big screw that screws the lock into the plate)....now....move your eye directly up and you will see on the "olds" style...it has this kind of "hook" in it. Whereas the "new" style does not.

When you take the two off and hold them side by side you can see where the new is just a tad higher and the angle is a bit different.

Again...410-er has hit the flint....on the frizzen!!

Dave

·
Registered
262 Posts
I am glad i caught this, I have problems with this too and after looking, I have the old style. I just try and keep changing my flint often. I am going to have to call and try and send mine back after season. Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I'll tell you the best thing to do is just take the whole lock (like 410-er said) but don't call T\C first. Just pack it up and send a letter with it telling 'em you have short flint life and poor ignition.

Make sure you give 'em your return address, and include a phone number if they need to contact you for any reason.

Dollars for doughnuts you will get a new lock in about 3 weeks.

Dave

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok I do think I have the old style, this gun is 20+ years old so the old style is a good guess anyway lol
So you can just call T/C for a gun this old? I'll have to live with it for this season I guess.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Any idea of the cost of a new lock?

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Talon. Yup. Lifetime is lifetime. My T\C was orginally bot in 1980 and they have no problems sending me free stuff when it breaks.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Dutch,

The last time I bought a T\C lock was about 3 or 4 years ago and i think I paid $40 for it. Used of course.

If you look at This Link you will find a brand new T\C lock for $125. The picture shows the old style lock, but I would think if you gave 'em a call you would actually get the new style. I don't think T\C even makes the old style any longer.

L&R Replacement Locks go for $135, and I believe these are "drop in" replacement locks for the T\C Hawken.

Dave

·
Registered
12,858 Posts
DaveT said:
Dutch,

The last time I bought a T\C lock was about 3 or 4 years ago and i think I paid $40 for it. Used of course.

If you look at This Link you will find a brand new T\C lock for $125. The picture shows the old style lock, but I would think if you gave 'em a call you would actually get the new style. I don't think T\C even makes the old style any longer.

L&R Replacement Locks go for $135, and I believe these are "drop in" replacement locks for the T\C Hawken.

Dave
Wow, lock prices have really jumped up in price. Not but a couple of years ago a t/c lock was under 100 and the L&R was just about a hundred-110. For 10 dollars difference, I would opt for the L&R. Just remember though, the L&R may need a little bit of fitting and inletting.

·
Registered
135 Posts
"call TC and tell them its eating flints and sparking poorly and your frizzen is good and send it in with a note saying the same....they will update it and send it back free of charge"

This is just what I did.. I sent the old style hammer back..with a note explaining that It is eating up flints and sparking poorly..and that I need the new style hammer..they then send me a new old stock hammer..the same one I just sent them..not the updated one? Now I am back to square one. What is going on with Thompson Center?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts