The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a used hawken rifle, currently have some flint 5/8x3/4 English flint I use in a Lyman gun, can't really find a good answer in the flint for this particular gun. Thanks for the help. Loads for a PRB would also be appreciated

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
Unless I am mistaken this rifle is available in a range of calibers so the load data would depend, in part, on not only the caliber but the specific ball weight you are using as well as the granulation of the powder charge.
I suggest that you do an on-line search for the manufacturers' recommendations relative to the appropriate charge / flint / patching and the whole base-line requirements for the gun.

Traditions Hawken Woodsman .50 Caliber Flintlock Muzzleloader | Bass Pro Shops

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry it's a 50 caliber

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Measure the width of the frizzen when the flint strikes it. Chose a flint just a little narrower than this measurement.

·
Registered
120 Posts
1/2" x 5/8 is what you need.

One of m y traditions flinters with the above size flint and a French Amber flint.

Traditions Hawken firing video:

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Unfortunately Traditions uses locks for their rifles that are really too small. They're more suited for a pistol than a rifle. Those little 5/8ths flints are pretty small, and you've got to really take care to match them up to the lock. We bought some English flints from TOTW that were listed as 5/8th X 1//2, but were more like 5/8ths square. They'd bottom out on the pan with each shot and didn't last long. Properly matched up these guns will fire reliably, but the wrong sized flint will give you fits.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts