The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been building my arrows for years and had very little trouble with the vanes; however last year I tried some of the fast setting gels to speed up the operation and I had a problem with the vanes not adhering as they were removed from the gig. I though maybe it was the gig.

Recently I used Fletch-tite Platinum and had good results.

Any thoughts.....

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I use a super type glue with a right helical for my Blazers. I leave then in the jig for about two minutes per vane. Never had any problems yet. I stay away from the gel types. I don't think they cure as fast as the ones that are thinner in viscosity.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I fletch quite a few arrows and use the Fletch-tite Platinum exclusively. I never have a problem as long as I sand the fletching area with some very fine sandpaper first (carbon arrows).

·
Registered
583 Posts
Maybe its me but I was also ways told never to sand carbon arrows....maybe I am wrong?????. I am always looking for new ideas

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I only use Fletch Tite.

Fletchshedder...I use 220 grit sand paper to remove the old glue and make the shaft rougher. It helps the glue to adhere better to the carbon.

·
Registered
583 Posts
thanks for the tip Spur, I am going to start doing that, just for a little security

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Using wraps will also help with adhesion. Only bad thing is, if one vane is damaged, you will need to replace all three, plus the wrap. I use wraps from Onestringer. The best thing about using wraps. Once you have the area free of any glue residue, all you need is a SOS pad and warm water to clean any glue residue from the wrap itself, if there is any. The wraps from Onestringer usually come off clean. Then re-fletching your shafts will be a lot quicker as well.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I find the Fletch-tite Platinum works with no problems with my 2 blazers vanes and carbons,I use a scuff pad and wash with dawn dishwashing soap and let dry

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Do yourself a favor and try some BSI Maxi Cure. Very inexpensive, and works for just about anything, except feathers. Do not glue feathers on with it. The bases will become bonded with the carbon on your arrows, and you will never get them off. But for inserts, and vanes, its awesome. You can get it from lancaster archery supply.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I changed back to the original Fletch-Tite, with Blazers, and Wraps and have no adhesion issues. I always had some fletching's pop off with Goat Tuff, Arizona Fastset Gel, and Steel Force glues...they defiantly speed up the fletching process, but for me not as reliable as what I'm using now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts