The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ... I'm sure I am not the first on this topic ... Please hear me out I just want to educate my self being a new Bow Hunter ... Is Helical Fletching just for getter Fixed Broad head flight tuned? ... or does it help with over all stablization with any tip? ... Also can you only set it up on 4inch Fletching or will Blazers work with it also? ... And the bottom line ... Is it just hype???

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Helical fletching is better for overall stability. It creates more spin, and more drag, which helps the arrow recover faster out of the bow. Using feathers, in a helical fletch setup, is much more forgiving than using vanes, as well as lighter. However, they dont perform well in wet weather. Helical fletching will also create some more noise. It is possible to use blazer vanes in a helical setup, and if you are not using a whisker biscuit, I highly recommend trying it. You should NOT shoot any helical setup thru the biscuit. It is doable, however, it really slows the arrow, and really increases wear on both the vanes and the biscuit. Another option is to try some quikspin vanes. They have a small tab on each vane that creates a helical effect, while fletching them straight. If you are shooting a fixed blade broadhead, and a dropaway, or prong style rest, give some sort of helical setup a try, I have a feeling you will really like a helical blazer setup.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
shootbowtech said:
Helical fletching is better for overall stability. It creates more spin, and more drag, which helps the arrow recover faster out of the bow. Using feathers, in a helical fletch setup, is much more forgiving than using vanes, as well as lighter. However, they dont perform well in wet weather. Helical fletching will also create some more noise. It is possible to use blazer vanes in a helical setup, and if you are not using a whisker biscuit, I highly recommend trying it. You should NOT shoot any helical setup thru the biscuit. It is doable, however, it really slows the arrow, and really increases wear on both the vanes and the biscuit. Another option is to try some quikspin vanes. They have a small tab on each vane that creates a helical effect, while fletching them straight. If you are shooting a fixed blade broadhead, and a dropaway, or prong style rest, give some sort of helical setup a try, I have a feeling you will really like a helical blazer setup.
I agree with everything he said. But I see no different with straight or helical out of my WB rest. I think the speed loss is so minuscule. As far as wear, well, I shot hundreds of shot through mine, no wear at all!
Being that Blazers are so much shorter, the speed loss is next to nothing. Now if somebody has a crono, I would like to test this out.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
When I said shooting helicals through a WB, Im talking a full length vane. A helical fletched blazer is barely helical at all, and thus would have very little effect on speed loss. As far as speed loss goes, somewhere in the 4-5 fps range is about right for helical blazers as opposed to straight ones.

·
Registered
162 Posts
when i made arrows for my neighbors son. i put four inch feathers at 2 degree offset and the wb rest ate them alive. my self i shoot blazers a 4 degree helical thru a q.a.d fall away and the results are great

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I can attest first hand a helicle through a WB ruins down range accuracy
I fltch slight offset for target(diving board) and straight for WB hunting

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
smitz8500 said:
I can attest first hand a helicle through a WB ruins down range accuracy
I fltch slight offset for target(diving board) and straight for WB hunting
Well of course it will, when your using four inch or more vanes! But Blazers work just fine out to 40 yards.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
shootbowtech said:
When I said shooting helicals through a WB, Im talking a full length vane. A helical fletched blazer is barely helical at all, and thus would have very little effect on speed loss. As far as speed loss goes, somewhere in the 4-5 fps range is about right for helical blazers as opposed to straight ones.
Cool, so I take it you shot these through a crono already?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts