The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought. Do we go a little overboard on fleshing? Heres what I'm thinking. Last year I sent in two coon that I trapper dried to Moyles. I started right below the ears and fleshed.I didn't touch anything at all above the ears and they came back looking great. My question is if I didn't flesh the ears and cheaks and stuff How come I didn't get any fur slippage around the face? Are we being a little too picky on our fleshing jobs? Or are we picky because fur dealers have been using any excuse in the books to give you less for your fur? I don't sell much fur or really catch much LOL! just wonder if the fleshing job has to be as intensive as they say.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I flesh mine as good as possible. I do the heads on coon and coyotes but not possums. Just cause I like having them look good when they are done. I do more than a few. Now I don't know if I was a buyer if I would do that to all fur.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
I sent 2 coon, a yote and 2 deer hides to tanneries that were crudely fleshed at best....meaning i got off big hunks that i could but didnt own a fleshing knife or beam...

I did salt them heavy....but no "fat burns" , taint, or hair slippage....i would imagine they had to flesh em better before tanning but i dont know..never got charged extra....

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yes-we do go crazy overboard on fleshing, if you are just sending them to the tannery. Doing an overboard job however does show a fur buyer or grader that you have put significant time and energy into the product and that directly correlates with the quality of the overall pelt. I have been sending my furs to a tannery for several years and have never had any issues- even sent in a coon completely un fleshed and couldn't tell which one it was out of the lot of 10.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was the scariest thing when I started tinkering with fleshing. I was so scared that if I didn't get everything there would be trouble but I'm begining to think I've been over thinnking LOL!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I would think it would depend alot on the conditions in which the fur was dried.If it gets really warm for a few days and their not fleshed good they could start to spoile.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Tubari in Pasaic NJ does a fine job- but best for large lots. With small lots you may get some one elses skins.
Yost in WI does a great job with deer skins- I may send them my fur this year as well.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I've had stuff tanned from a bunch of places and none compared to the quality I've received from Moyles. And getting my own furs back. Top Notch!!

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
We send all of ours to Moyles as well.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I went to Moyles web site and if i read it right, it is only $12.00 per pound to have things tanned. A dried fur would not be much at all. All the guys that have sent them there, does that price sound right to you?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Glad I read this today. I was considering sending some stuff to USA Foxx this year. I've never used them before. Do they not do a good job or what?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
moss I think you were looking at hides. Look under furs.

Usa foxx took 18 months to send me back a torn up coon.
It was perfect when I sent it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts