The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im not sure how to do it how much fat to take of its different than a coon so i just threw him in the freezer for now if you guys could post some pics of the process it would help alot thanks

·
Registered
332 Posts
Most fox don't need much fleshing at all. I would be afraid of putting a hole in the skin for it is so thin to begin with. Maybe some other guys will chime in as well.

·
Banned
275 Posts
I just bought a copy of "After the Catch", he also says foox need very little if any fleshing.

I would recomend this dvd to anyone new to trapping or for guys like me who have never done their own fleshing.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Roaddawg said:
I just bought a copy of "After the Catch", he also says foox need very little if any fleshing.

I would recomend this dvd to anyone new to trapping or for guys like me who have never done their own fleshing.
Who makes it?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
matt jones made after the catch.

there is some fat and tissue that should be removed from fox before stretching

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i heard red fox dont need fleshing but gray fox do and ive caught both and the red had no fat but the gray has some and i didnt know how much to take of because theres fat then a membrane then more fat underneath that

·
Registered
65 Posts
we flesh all the fat off gray fox, from the ears to the tail,just like a coon. just don't need to use as much pressure as your would on a coon.gray fox are alot different than reds.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Roaddawg said:

never saw the video , but grays need fleshing and they are far from thin skinned. you can lean into them pretty good

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
dietsch said:
Roaddawg said:

never saw the video , but grays need fleshing and they are far from thin skinned. you can lean into them pretty good
Yep, I treat grays just like coons.
Actually some buyers want them dried fur in just like coons too, but I never do that.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
The grey in the pic was a big male and wasn't as fatty as some tend to be but since I had both yesterday thought I would take a couple pics for you. I wouldn't worry getting everything off your red fox. There is some under the arm pits that should be removed and some fox are fattier than others which will require more work.

This is something alot of guys don't do as well. The ear area is where the most issues will occur with slippage due to not being dried properly. Making sure all the cartilage and any excess meat is gone sure helps and only takes a minute with a dull fleshing knife.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts