The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got done taking care of my first 2 fox I'm attempting to put up on my own. 1st one was a little on the small side, came really easy and had no fat and just a really clean hide. Have her skin out on the stretcher.

2nd one was the big female from my other pic thread. Beautiful fox andI really took my time to make sure I didnt screw anything up! Down towards the neck and armpits it really pulled a lot more flesh and fat off. A lot of it I could more or less peel off with my fingers but Im half scared to take the fleshing knife to it. I can prob post pics a little later, what do yall suggest?

Also in my garage with no heat what an approx time frame to leave them skin out before flipping them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
No need to flesh a fox. If you want you can take a spoon and get some of the small fat of meaty pieces off but other then that it is not needed. More important is to make sure you turn the hide after it's been drying a day or two. Alway turn fox fur side out.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
depending on where you are drying you may want to turn sooner than a day or 2. I dry mine in the basement and if i have them fur in for more than about 15 hours i have to re-hydrate before i can get them to turn.
and i do flesh my grey fox with a dull knife to get the fat off.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heres how they look.

Any tips or pointers? First time doing fox, I've done a couple of coon so far.

Also what am I looking for on them when its time to flip them?

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
im no expert fur putter upper but fox sure look nicer on wood stretchers. but you got what you got for now. i still do coon on wire and when i pull the sides down i clamp the edges with wooden clothes pins. might want to try that on your fox.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I know, honestly I wasnt really sure how I was gonna do this year (first year trapping) and didnt really plan to put up my own fur. I decided to give it a try and just grabbed 6 wire stretchers from my local buyer. Next year Im absolutely doing wood.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Keep feeling until they are not sticky to the touch and them turn them!! Only about 8-12 hours in my basement at 60-64 degrees. Last place to dry seems to be in the armpits.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
What size wire are they on? Turn them before they get too dry or you'll end up tearing them. Put something in to allow air flow once turned. They will look fine once turned. In my basement with a fan blowing on them about 12 hrs is the longest I can let them go before turning otherwise they are very hard to turn. I think they look good

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, my garage is just a block builing, so its not much warmer than outside temp. I would guess 45* at best. Theyve been up since 10pm last night so I will check them when I get home and see how they feel.

Those are sleepy creek stretchers, pretty sure they are #4.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
id pin open the tail on a piece of cardboard or something too...liable to have it slip the way it is if it doesnt dry properly...

the fleshing looks alright...like said, i removed big pieces of meat and fat by hand and thats it on a fox...sometimes there is none..sometimes there is some..

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seemed to be the most fatty around the neck area. I got off as much as I could without cutting to deep. It seems to be drying up nicely thogh. Arms were still soft and it was a bit tacky.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Skin, flesh the armpits and flanks, rub the entire leather side of the pelt in a tub of borax, and immediately board fur side out.

Skin and board....skip the flip. Works with coyotes and grays too.

·
Registered
932 Posts
charman03 said:
Did u latch the back legs and pull a little snug? It will make the bottom sides not so loose
If those stretchers are new, your hook arms may be creeping up. You can pinch the complete outside of them tight, this will make them bite better into the round rod of the stretcher. Like somebody said earlier, you want to give them a little pull to snug the hide up. Then roll the outside of the skirt down and clamp it with a clothes pin.
I borax both leather sides of my fox and coyotes. This helps with drying and as well as any problem areas for the start of slippage. Nothing wrong with wire stretchers, I have used them for over 20 yrs without a problem. I do put mink on wood though.
As far as turning them, most has been said for that. They should just be dry enough to hold the shape of the stretcher. This is were borax helps also, you can turn them faster when using it. Once turned fur out, just snug with the arms of the stretcher again. Then I have card board tubes from the rolls of ice and water sheild that I shove up inside the pelt to help with air flow. After they hang this way for about a day, I remove the hook arms from the hide. You can let them on the stretcher that way until dry.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Fairchild #17 said:
Skin, flesh the armpits and flanks, rub the entire leather side of the pelt in a tub of borax, and immediately board fur side out.

Skin and board....skip the flip. Works with coyotes and grays too.
Without me writing a book, Fairchild beat me to it. His method with the borax works as well. The leather side won't stick to your form as much with the borax on it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. Dont have any borax and Im this far into it already with these 2 and just dont wanna mess them up now. I went and snugged them up as well as pinned the corners to keep shape earlier.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So the smaller one was good to go as far as I could tell. Armpits were even stiff enough. So I turned that one tonight, went good but i now can see how the wire stretchers...suck. Took me a while to get it to look straight and get it all pulled down right. Inside the tail was just a hair tacky yet, going to make something to pin it open to tomorrow as its late now.

Maybe a really stupid question but the little teath on the hooks, are they grabbing fur or are you poking them through the skin on the legs? I couldnt get the top on to grab so I poked it through the tips and they pulled up nice then.

Heres a pic tell me how Im doing. Ill get the other side later as I didnt have the legs attatched right yet.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Backroads said:
Maybe a really stupid question but the little teath on the hooks, are they grabbing fur or are you poking them through the skin on the legs? I couldnt get the top on to grab so I poked it through the tips and they pulled up nice then.
Poke them through the skin.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks! Thats what I ended up doing, After fussing with it for too long it kind of clicked. Its rough learning all this on my own with internet as a mentor haha! I'll post some more pics of the other side and my other fox later tonight.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts