The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my brand-new Polaris Ranger to my cabin this weekend and planned on going on long rides on the state trails. Unfortunately two popped tires early in the ride prevented that. I was talking to some other riders and they said usually the factory tires are pretty poor. I called the dealership and they said that they are good six ply tires. They said that I was extremely unlucky and that should not happen. I am still considering getting different tires. The trails that I ride are very rocky and I am wondering if that contributed to the flats. Any suggestion on good, reasonably priced tires? I'm thinking of getting tires with more concentrated treads so that rocks can't puncture the base of the tire. Thanks.

I also learned to always carry a plug kit with you.

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
Our new 800 EFI has a very slow leak in the passenger front. Don't see any tire damage, but we usually put a couple pumps with a bike pump in it every weekend.

Someone recommended to me to put SLIM in it. Anyone use that stuff?

Sorry for your luck, be watching this one close, hope you get an answer. For what they cost it can be frustrating.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I put slime in all of my atv tires and have only added air once in 2 years. Previous to that I had to air up every time I wanted to use them. I have an 05 sportsman and a 2010 ranger that basically had slow leaks straight out of the dealer.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
We have a 2009 Ranger and a 2011 500; Had dealer slime my first one @ 8 years ago; Now we slime every time we get a new one. No problems.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Must be a Polaris thing. I don't ever recall putting air in my Suzuki tires in the last 9 years, unless I had to plug one.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
[ I put slime in all of my atv tires and have only added air once in 2 years.] QUOTE

X 2 . Would'nt ride without it .

My first ATV was a Kawasaki Tecate 3 wheeler . When I traded up to a 4 wheeler , my brother bought the Tecate . First thing he bought for it was new back tires . When the dealer was removing the old tires he showed my brother that each tire had about 10 -15 thorns in each . The Slime kept me from having to add air except maybe 2 -3 times a year .

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
pilotjjc3 said:
I took my brand-new Polaris Ranger to my cabin this weekend and planned on going on long rides on the state trails. Unfortunately two popped tires early in the ride prevented that. I was talking to some other riders and they said usually the factory tires are pretty poor. I called the dealership and they said that they are good six ply tires. They said that I was extremely unlucky and that should not happen. I am still considering getting different tires. The trails that I ride are very rocky and I am wondering if that contributed to the flats. Any suggestion on good, reasonably priced tires? I'm thinking of getting tires with more concentrated treads so that rocks can't puncture the base of the tire. Thanks.

I also learned to always carry a plug kit with you.
My Ranger 570 factory tires are Carlisle Rubber 4ply... not the toughest tire around but I only have a few hours on it... I'm looking at the Slime inflator kit for the glove box.. I may slime all my tires in the mean time.. for those who did.. how many ounce's per tire ?
as for replacements when the time comes , by far many have recommended the 8 ply tires which aren't cheap per set of 4 .... but it's better then getting stranded with popped or punched tires..

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Stock tires on new atv's and side x sides are garbage. Very thin and cheap. Just like new vehicle tires.

By new aftermarket ones and get better performance and durability.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I had a slow leaks in all of my tires on my 13 Ranger. I got fed up with it and bought some 27" swamp lites. No issues since.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I'm sure other guys use different methods but I do slime all my tires as well. I ride in fields with tons of multi-floral rose and rode Hatfield McCoy trails that were extremely rocky. I've never had a problem.
You can buy a big bottle that is enough for all 4 tires. The oz per tire amount is on the bottle. I jack up the rear end and slime the tire. As soon as you slime it spin the tire hard a few times to get it to coat all the way around the tire and bead. Repeat with each tire. It is well worth the time and small investment when you consider how big of a pain it is to get shut down on a ride.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
The tires they give on a new Polaris is junk. Me and my buddy bought rangers same day. He had 2 flats with in a week. Dealer didn't stand behind them.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
outofstater said:
The tires they give on a new Polaris is junk. Me and my buddy bought rangers same day. He had 2 flats with in a week. Dealer didn't stand behind them.
Agree on the dealer tires . UTV's need at least a 6 ply or better tire . All that weight & torque are to tough on 4 ply ATV tires . Unless you cut a sidewall , 6 ply ( or better ) with slime should take care of flats ....

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Rober said:
Just bought a Ranger, I guess I need to invest in some Slime!!

I having been looking for slime around where I live and can not find it. Where is the best place to get it??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts