The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some opinions from people using flail mowers. I just brush hogged a lot of fields and was thinking about getting an 88 inch flail to keep them mowed down two or three times a year.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Our Motorcycle club switched from a rotary brush mower to a flail about 10 years ago and never looked back.....

hammer-knife is a lot smaller than a brush cutter blade, more of them but easy to replace as needed

Reactions: Pa.Bone

·
Registered
373 Posts
How rough of ground? rocks? Flail won't take the abuse a brush hog will.If you are cutting weeds and heavy stuff if using a flail you better be at the higher side of the horsepower rating for the mower.Grass and light weeds a flail will work fine.Never used the Hammer blades only the Y style I know when the Y type get dull they don't cut very good.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
How rough of ground? rocks? Flail won't take the abuse a brush hog will.If you are cutting weeds and heavy stuff if using a flail you better be at the higher side of the horsepower rating for the mower.Grass and light weeds a flail will work fine.Never used the Hammer blades only the Y style I know when the Y type get dull they don't cut very good.
Good point, most of the property I mentioned is grass and fairly level, most is spectator and parking areas and any protruding rocks were ground off over the years by the woods and rotary mowers. I forgot there were different blades; HAMMERKNIFE is a brand name, there are places where they don't call 'em flails.....

I like the ones that replaces sickle bar mowers for cutting the roadside on the hydraulic arms.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The mower I was thinking of getting was an older Alamo 88 with sideslicer blades and weighs 1100 pounds. Mainly mowing old hay and pasture fields we no longer use. Mostly tall grass and weeds. I’m still looking as of now and no real hurry, mowed most of it with the brush hog. I may also decide to just buy a bigger brush hog, been looking for a 10 footer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts