The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't want to hijack the other post so I thought I would make a new one.

So the question is too fix or not to fix?

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I personally wouldn't get points fixed. The old lady shot a good buck this year after a long dry spell and the bucks main beam was broke off after the G3. She wanted a euro mount of it and asked me if there was any way of getting the antler repaired. I told her there was. And she requested to have him repaired. No sense in arguing with the Mrs.

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
I'd fix it so it will look good for a mount. When anyone says nice I'd say i had it fixed. end of story

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
A friend's daughter shot a beast a couple of years ago. On his death run, he ran headlong into a tree and busted up his right beam pretty bad. They got it mounted and the taxi had do to a lot of work to get it back to normal. In a case like that, i would. If not, I wouldn't.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
It depends on the mount. Often a minor break or two gives character. But if a G2 or main beam was broken, I'd probably get a repair...especially if I had a photo of the buck on trail cam with an undamaged rack. My son and I have mounts done both ways and it doesn't diminish the memory of any hunt one bit. It's a personal call on how you want the art to appear. I like to get my taxidermist's opinion before making a decision.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
5chunter, I would have gotten that one fixed too because the end of the beam is clearly broken off after hardening. It's not like it was never there or you are enhancing it beyond what nature initially created. Your wife will get a beautiful symmetrical mount recreating what that buck once was. Congrats on a very nice buck by the way!

·
Registered
379 Posts
ccall29 said:
A friend's daughter shot a beast a couple of years ago. On his death run, he ran headlong into a tree and busted up his right beam pretty bad. They got it mounted and the taxi had do to a lot of work to get it back to normal. In a case like that, i would. If not, I wouldn't.
Ya know... I voted no, that I would not get one fixed. Simply because I love the character of all the buck I have harvested. However, you bring up a great point (no pun intended... ok maybe a little)! In a case like this one, I probably would get it fixed. Excellent enlightenment!

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
basdjs said:
It depends on the mount. Often a minor break or two gives character. But if a G2 or main beam was broken, I'd probably get a repair...especially if I had a photo of the buck on trail cam with an undamaged rack. My son and I have mounts done both ways and it doesn't diminish the memory of any hunt one bit. It's a personal call on how you want the art to appear. I like to get my taxidermist's opinion before making a decision.
I feel the same way and actually have 1 mount that has 1 point fixed and 1 that does not. The one I got fixed has a G3 that was broken off at the base. If I didn't get it fixed, I would probably have not got it mounted as I thought the broke point really diminished the look of the rack. I got that one fixed. The other buck has a broken brow tine and I decided not to get it fixed as I thought it added character and didn't dminish the mount. Like you said it is a personal call.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
A buck that broke after shooting it i would definately fix if he were big enough. It would basically just be putting him back the way he was when you shot him. I would not fix a brow tine. A an inch or two of a tip of a tine or main beam as long as its not too drastic i may have touched up just to have a nice looking mount on the wall if he were big enough. Major reconstructions of any kind would be a no for me and that would include entire points being added back on. If it doesnt look anything close to the way it looks in the pics and the way he was when i shot it then its not the way i want it hanging on my wall. Its not like it would be my first mount on the wall or anything so i really have no desire to gussie a mount all up just to add another to the wall. I have enough mounts now that if i shot something that was busted up it would probably get a euro or plaque mount done, and i would do it myself to save some money.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
How he spent six weeks living in my mind...

How he looked the day I got him with his guard down.

He is getting it fixed.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I would not consider that a major reconstruction at all, and with the history you two shared i couldnt blame you, but it doesnt matter what i think. He's still a ten point. I almost had an 8 point with about 2" of his main beam broken off fixed years ago but decided against it because the buck just wasnt all that spectacular. I have him and another 8 with a broken brow tine on plaques now.

I have 6 mounts on the wall already and a few ive taken apart to put on plaques. I promised my wife in 2013 the only way ill get another one mounted is if its noticably bigger than my biggest to date, which at the time was a 127" ten point. I ended up getting a 140" 8 point in archery this year so i added another one to the wall. I doubt ill beat that one for a while but you never know.

Unless i shoot something that is much bigger than my last i'm planning on putting the rest of them on plaques. I started making and staining my own plaques out of oak and doing the whole plaster of paris and felt thing myself. It takes a little bit of time but its very rewarding. The last one i did turned out much better than the one i had the taxidermist do for me.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Just had this Dilemma this past season. My youngest son shot a beautiful buck that had a broken G3. After putting it out there to various guys and my taxi, it was an overwhelming no to fixing it. He will be mounted the way he looked when he was shot.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Kind of on the fence about this? I used to go to a 3-d shoot every Labor Day weekend and in the clubhouse was a nice buck mount on the wall. I learned that one of the members wasw a taxidermist and had made it up out of several small racks he had lying around. Thing looked real to the untrained eye so someone could get a real nice wallhanger made up out of basically junk if he wanted. If it was just replacing the end of a point to match the other side I would probably do it?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts