The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do expandables do with target practice?
What target material works best?
I'm imagining damage on a solid foam target, where fixed blades slide right out.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I don't know about all expandables but when I shot a compound I used Wasp Jakhammers (GREAT broadheads by the way) and what you did for practice was take the o-ring off and wrap the blades together with something like spiderwire (fishing line) in the outside grooves of the blades and it kept them from opening up on impact and were easy to pull afterwards.

Oh and I use a Delta foam 3D deer for practice and it holds up fairly well with the expandables.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
The best broadhead target for the money imo is a hard foam square that is 1.5-2" thick...I get mine from Dick's sporting goods...like 30$ or so....arrow goes half way through and then I unscrew the broadhead and pull the arrow out...even with fixed heads, pulling arrows out eats the target...

After you get 1 pretty shot up, buy another...save the old one...when you get it shot up, secure both together...you can get a ton of life from them that way...when a hole forms, rotate 1 of the targets and resecure it...I used the clear plastic you would use to pack stuff when moving...works well for me...I got thousands of shots into my targets...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mauser06 said:
I unscrew the broadhead and pull the arrow out...even with fixed heads, pulling arrows out eats the target...
Great idea. I have one of those thin targets in my yard on a straw bale right now. Perfect. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts