The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always used fixed broadheads , since I`m looking to get new ones this I was thinking of switching to expendable's. I`m not sure what I want to do. Which one do you prefer and why ?

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
Well this thread should get interesting. It always does.
At one time I shot fixed but now for many years I only shoot expendable's . Never had any of the horror stories happen to me that is often brought up such as failure to open or lack of penetration. They always fly well and I have watched several deer drop dead within sight over the years.
To me there really is no difference between an expandable head and a fixed head as long as they are sharp and your bow is tuned.
One reason I prefer expendable's is I don't have to worry about the blade catching my index finger when I shoot. I know the odds of this are very low but the blade is close enough to my hand that it gives me one more thing to think about while shooting. I know others are unaffected by this but for whatever reason it bothers me so I have taken it out of the equation. The less you have to think about things the better your concentration will be when shooting.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Not sure that I do. A buddy was telling me they fly better and they do more damage on the animal.
The only way they fly better is if your bow is out of tune. Mechanicals have little wind resistance which is why they fly like field points. Fixed heads will fly just like a field point if your tuning is true. More damage on the animal is subjective, if i hit bone I want a fixed head. If i hit guts a mechanical will be better. I have zero desire to shoot a mechanical, personal preference.

·
Registered
18,574 Posts
I shoot both.

Crossbows cannot be tuned like vertical bows can so sometimes it is necessary to make the move to expandables if you are not getting good accuracy with fixed heads. You can often tighten the fixed head groups by going with spine indexed arrows or playing with front of center balance and arrow length. If you are getting good accuracy with fixed heads, there is no great reason to try mechanicals.

A fixed head and mechanical of the same cutting diameter cause the same damage.

You can generally get a bigger cutting diameter with mechanicals without potentially creating accuracy issues. The little extra cut diameter is a slight advantage if your shot is a touch off. The extra 1/2 inch may be the difference between a flesh wound and a kill shot. I use bigger mechanicals when I am turkey hunting cause the kill zone is so small.

I shot a black bear with a expandable a month ago but I am switching over to Slick Trick fixed heads for an upcoming wild hog hunt just for a little added insurance on hogs.

Bottom line is if your primary interest is deer, and you are currently getting good flight from fixed heads, there is no great advantage to switching to mechanicals in crossbows, IMO.

·
Registered
234 Posts
i have shot expandables for going on 10 years now.i prefer gators which were formally rocky mountain. they are sold at bass pro which bought out rocky mountain. have shot close to 50 deer without an issue with them . no problem with broadside shots.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Expandable, rage to be exact.. I've been using them for a while and never had them fail me yet(knock on wood). I use expandables because I like GOOD blood trails. I've seen deer shot with them that had some absolute devastating blood trails

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
I am pretty interested in this thread. I just got the call that my Tenpoint Nitro will be in this week and I can go pick it up. It will be an impressive step up in speed from what I am currently shooting and I've been wondering what kind of issues that I will get into as far as broadhead selection goes...I look forward to comments regarding broad heads traveling at those velocities...

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I have always used fixed broadheads , since I`m looking to get new ones this I was thinking of switching to expendable's. I`m not sure what I want to do. Which one do you prefer and why ?
I currently using slick tricks magnum 100gr.. I used to use Nap spitfires.. they broke easily..

If I were to use a mechanical I go with Shwackers I've heard nothing but great reviews on them. fly straight , cut and open on any angle and impressive 2 in cutting

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
This will be new to me because it will be my first year using a crossbow. I have cross bolts rigged with Rage Hypodermics for deer and Wack em fixed blades for hogs. I am shooting a Carbon Express 390. I depended on the advice of the guys in the pro shop where I bought my Crossbow.

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
Funny you should mention the index finger steelhead125🙂
I know it happens to guys from time to time. I generally have the bow resting in the web of my hand between my thumb and index finger with my fingers extended. Not wrapped around the bow or gripping it the way some guys like to shoot. The thought of a razor sharp broad head passing a inch from my finger going over 300 FPS just doesn’t sit well with me.

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
A broadhead thru the boiler room will kill a deer with monotonous regularity regardless if it is an expandable or fixed blade. Now in certain situations a small fixed blade may work better than a large expandable or vice versa. If you find something that shoots well in your setup then stay with it. Make sure that the blades are sharp. Only other thing I do especially with expandables is to check it when I am loading in the bow to make sure the band is properly on the head and everything looks good. Again the key is to find something that shoots good in your setup.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
That happened the first time I ever shot at a deer with a bow, actually that was the first deer I ever shot at with any weapon. I was shaking so bad the arrow slipped off the rest as I released.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
As the other posters have said well. Tune the bow, the rest is easy. Whatever you choose make sure you got some great paper tuning in before hand.

I am still shooting Rock Mountain Premier 125's and will never give them up... I had one that shot 8 deer with, finally ruined it, twisted up another...

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
That happened the first time I ever shot at a deer with a bow, actually that was the first deer I ever shot at with any weapon. I was shaking so bad the arrow slipped off the rest as I released.
Totally understandable. Heck I still get the shakes from time to time if it’s a big one and I think I am going on my 23 or 24 season.:blush::blush

·
Registered
1,400 Posts

·
Registered
18,574 Posts
I am pretty interested in this thread. I just got the call that my Tenpoint Nitro will be in this week and I can go pick it up. It will be an impressive step up in speed from what I am currently shooting and I've been wondering what kind of issues that I will get into as far as broadhead selection goes...I look forward to comments regarding broad heads traveling at those velocities...
Once you get over 400fps, broadhead flight can get pretty darn interesting. The good thing is it comes with great factory arrows.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
This will be my first year using a Crossbow, regardless of your choice of Broadhead my concerns are
An expandable opening up prematurely with the thrust of a high speed rig.
I'm all ears for any clarification.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts