The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Five Stages of a Hunter. What stage are you in?

Shooter Stage
This hunter thinks good hunting means a lot of shooting. Beginning hunters tell of the chances they had to shoot. Missing game is not as important as pulling the trigger. Shooter stage hunters should be concerned about safety and proper use of hunting equipment.

Limiting Out Stage
These hunters still talk about enjoying shooting. More important to them is the number of birds or game animals shot. Limiting out is the hunter's goal. This desire should not crowd out safety or responsibile hunting methods.

Trophy Stage
These hunters try to shoot only certain game. They look for special animals and may travel far to find their trophy. Shooting is less important at this stage.

Method Stage
In this stage, hunting has become very important to the hunters. They still want to take game, even limit out, but more important to them is how it is done. These hunters study the habits of their game. They choose special equipment such as bow and arrow or black powder. Equipment use and the best hunting skills are indicators of the method stage.

Sportsman Stage
After years of hunting, these hunters enjoy being with friends in the outdoors more than taking game. They enjoy the total hunting experience including honing their hunting skills, training dogs, studying animal habits and purchasing equipment.

This question may have been asked about before and if so I apoligize for the duplicate. I would suspect that some hunters could fall into more than one stage but for this survey I am asking you to choose just one stage. Feel free to post you opinions.

Information for this survey was taken from the Pennsylvania Hunter-Trapper Education Manual.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I am in the method stage. That definition fit me perfect. The reason I am not sportsmen stage is because I do not like to hunt with people. Dont get me wrong, I love and appreciate my friends, I just dont like to hunt with them.

However!, In recent turkey seasons, I have been hunting with friend and having lots of fun, so I may be in that method-sportsmen grey area, where some days its cool to hunt with people and other times I like to be alone.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I picked the limiting out stage...but the definition doesn't fit. I've rifle hunted for 20 years, and just started archery. I've shot 2 doe and 1 buck in my life...all rifle, and all in the last 7 years. Really, I've only just become seriously addicted to year-round pursuit of whitetails...about 4 years ago. Not a beginner....skilled enough to have regular close encounters, not yet skilled enough to close the deal in archery....proficient with a rifle. I'll take a trophey for sure, but I'll probably take the first legal buck I can.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
On this survey, I had to choose "Sportsman Stage".

Although I fit pretty well in the "Method Stage". I am a student of the hunt. I enjoy the hunt itself. But I do not choose a specific weapon and concentrate everything on the particular season that is set for that weapon.

I guess that I am also in the Grey area....Hunting with family and friends mean alot. I do my best to help all of the hunters in the group have a great day afield.

And 2 years ago, My 11 year old son, Scott and I pushed a doe into my cousin's 12 year old son...Austin's first deer.
Scott and Austin tag teamed the field dressing and the drag back to the truck with two proud daddy's becoming Dad's.

That is what made the decision to choose "Sportsman"

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I must be a hybrid. I voted method, but I do still enjoy tagging out with my buck and turkey tags. Hunting does of course have a common end goal.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I pass back and forth between sportsman and method.
Sportsman-I do enjoy hunting with others sometimes.(waterfouling with family)
Method- Love using special equipment and being alone sometimes.(bow and pistol for bear, deer, turkey hunting alone)

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
JD3 said:
Five Stages of a Hunter. What stage are you in?

Shooter Stage
This hunter thinks good hunting means a lot of shooting. Beginning hunters tell of the chances they had to shoot. Missing game is not as important as pulling the trigger. Shooter stage hunters should be concerned about safety and proper use of hunting equipment.

Limiting Out Stage
These hunters still talk about enjoying shooting. More important to them is the number of birds or game animals shot. Limiting out is the hunter's goal. This desire should not crowd out safety or responsibile hunting methods.

Trophy Stage
These hunters try to shoot only certain game. They look for special animals and may travel far to find their trophy. Shooting is less important at this stage.

Method Stage
In this stage, hunting has become very important to the hunters. They still want to take game, even limit out, but more important to them is how it is done. These hunters study the habits of their game. They choose special equipment such as bow and arrow or black powder. Equipment use and the best hunting skills are indicators of the method stage.

Sportsman Stage
After years of hunting, these hunters enjoy being with friends in the outdoors more than taking game. They enjoy the total hunting experience including honing their hunting skills, training dogs, studying animal habits and purchasing equipment.

This question may have been asked about before and if so I apoligize for the duplicate. I would suspect that some hunters could fall into more than one stage but for this survey I am asking you to choose just one stage. Feel free to post you opinions.

Information for this survey was taken from the Pennsylvania Hunter-Trapper Education Manual.
I love teaching this part of the course to youngsters! Good poll.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm brand new to hunting, but I'd like to say that I'm in the Method Stage. I'm super into Bowhunting ever since my husband turned me onto it!
I'm consumed with reading about it and learning as much as I can and practicing at the range and perfecting. Constantly on the lookout for new stuff and excited as **** to get outside and into the hunt!

I don't care about getting a "shot" off or how many deer I kill.
I want worth-while but done with perfection (or as close to it for me as possible).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts