The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this kennel (Five points kennel) looking for a beagle puppy, though most of her dogs go to pet homes, has anyone on here bought or know of anyone that has purchased a dog from here? I am looking at getting a dog for hunting but also an indoor family dog . Her dogs are AKC registered and the owner has been very helpful she just doesn't know of anyone that has hunted with these dogs .

·
Registered
305 Posts
JMO. If you looking for a hunting dog trying staying with a "local houndsman" (within couple of hours of you) who line breeds beagles. Usally they invite you to look at parents run , see temperament kennel manners etc.
most pups if handled properly will adjust to house and hunting dog.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Sir,

Both of the above posters have given you solid information.

If I were to breed beagles specifically for a pet, this is what I would breed for:

A clingy nature as opposed to independent.
Very little nose, since it's their nose that gets them in trouble often.
As little mouth as possible so they won't bother anyone.
Not "bull headed" so they listen better.

All of those traits are the opposite of what is required of a hunting beagle.

A hunting beagle needs to have a good nose, be independent enough to hunt away from you, have enough nose to follow the scent, give plenty of tongue on the trail, and be "bull headed" enough to stick with the trail no matter the distractions.

If I were to start over, I would find a couple of different beaglers in my area who gunhunt over their dogs. Once I determined the style that I wanted, I would watch the sire and dame SOLO. It makes no sense to look at them in a pack if you are only going to run one dog. This has to occur before the puppies are born, with the dame anyway, because the female won't be able to run from a few weeks before birth until after the pups are gone generally.

If I liked what I saw, I would then put in an early deposit to have pick of the litter or close to it. I would pick one of the more bold pups in the litter. I like females myself, but it really doesn't matter.

Now that you have a pup, begin crate training quickly, and begin with simple obedience training until ready for starting (5-7 months old).

Now you have a pet that should be able to run rabbits.

Disclaimer...my post in no way is trying to disparriage the kennel in the original post in any way. Its just in my mind, breeding for pet beagles, show beagles, brace beagles and hunting beagles, you use a different genetic formula to get what you want.

Feel free to pm me if you would like to see some medium to upper medium speed hounds run. I'm in western Erie county. I do not breed or sell beagles.

Good luck whatever you choose.
Brian

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Look at the Kennel's Facebook Page as they have posted your question to previous buyers, and have already gotten a response as well as a picture.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Michael Mardino This is Smokey who my wife and I bought from Five Points Kennel last February. We wanted him for a house dog/hunter. Great temperament for both. Started on his own the second time out. Medium pace on track with a good chop mouth. Relentless searcher when he's not on track. Looking forward to next season with him as this years weather prevented a lot of hunting.</span>

Best of Luck

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Brine, may have found your answer. A lot of times when people sell pups, it depends on where they advertise, as to who buys them. If advertised on a more pet type of format they can get higher prices. Check out some beagle for sale sites, I saw some ask 1800, for a pet beagle puppy. Mine have all come from trailers or hunters.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
there are plenty of guys on here that hunt both cottontail and hare with their hounds. Wait till one of these guys raise a litter and have one already not spoken for. You will be better off. These guys like to tease each other and rag on each others dogs but they all got what it takes to bring the bunny back to the gun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts