The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could a guy go today and fish a listed stocked trout stream for suckers if he doesn't have a trout license?

From the book:
A current Pennsylvania trout/salmon permit is
required to fish for trout or salmon in Pennsylvania
waters. Permits are printed on the license. An
angler “fishes for trout or salmon” when he or she:
• Takes, kills or possesses, while in the act of fishing,
a trout or salmon from any PA or boundary waters.
• Fishes in waters under special trout/salmon
regulations.
• Fishes in any Class A Wild Trout Waters or
Wilderness Trout Streams or their tributaries.
• Fishes in streams and rivers designated as stocked
trout waters on March 1 through May 31.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
The way the regulation sounds to me (that last line) you would be ok. Just wondering, there are lots of streams with suckers, why risk it on getting fined on a trout water?

·
Registered
11,846 Posts
I would not bet my life on it, but I believe if you are fishing a stocked trout stream, or approved trout water, you must have the trout stamp. If you would catch a trout, you would possess it, and be subject to fine.
Again, I certainly could be wrong, but that's the way I understand it. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I was under the impression that you needed a T/S to fish in stocked trout waters. There are trout lakes that close to all fishing until trout opens. I think an e-mail to the PFBC is your best shot at an answer

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This guy doesn't trout fish at all so he doesn't want to buy a trout lic. just to fish for bait. The streams around here that I though would have suckers in are all stocked trout streams. But it turns out after an evening of scouting some streams, that they look to be void of any sucker potential anyhow. So it looks like I will be trying to find a place to buy them, if someone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Registered
549 Posts
You do not need a trout stamp to fish trout stocked waters after may 31st. You would need the stamp to keep a trout from those waters. Like it states you also need a stamp to fish class A trout streams

1 - 8 of 8 Posts