The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Looking to see if anyone would like to tag along this spring in this area, possibly show me where NOT to take the boat. i have a 14' flat bottom jon with a 6hp johnson.. rigging it up for fish/duck combo. Need a good river navigator and i can repay the favor via hunting or other fishing area opportunities. I also custom build fly rods so that could be a possibility if interested. Just shoot me a message and we can set something up

Thanks!
Chris

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no jet unfortunately.. been sticking to rose valley with the troller, and other lakes in the area.. headed to pymatuning end of the month... i know i can take it up by haywoods on the water.. i used to have an 18ft lowe fish ski that i sold and could make it all the way up to harvest moon on a good day before dingin bottom...

duck hunted once with a guy on the muncy section and he obviously had a jet.. just thought id ask.

thanks for the help.. guess its good old kayakin'
aint nobody got time for kayakin!

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have a jet but you could drop off a truck at Muncy, take your boat to Grevey boat lanch and float to Muncy. We used to do that before I bought a jet.

·
Registered
11,826 Posts
The river at Muncy changes with each storm. Usually I put in and run across the river to the west side. Start up the west side and when you see the river start to narrow head towards the east side.

There is a rapids around the curve towards Williamsport. I don't think you could or should get above those rapids with a 6 HP.

I would not go south of the ramp. Depending on the current it might be hard to get up with a 6.

·
Banned
3,541 Posts
When I was younger, we could run up river maybe a mile or two to hunt ducks,the boat had a 9.9 prop. However, we had to walk the boat over the first larger shoal, maybe 300 yards up from the ramp, and it was a long long walk until it ended.

Since the flood, we have only been able to get up or down stream in with a jet.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah only time I was up above the rapids duck hunting was with a guy that had a jet.. i'll prob just leave a truck at muncy and float down in my kayak from mill launch to duck hunt this season

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I've been told the new Arch St. Bridge changed that sections navigation, any truth in that?

·
Registered
11,826 Posts
I have not had much luck in that section of the river lately.

There are some geese in the early season but they get smart quick. There are some woodies early.

I have not hunted that section late in the season so it may be better especially after / if the ponds freeze.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
We used to go by the rule of thumb that if the river reading was 4' or above you could run the rapids above the wall. When it dropped under 4' but still above 2' you hugged the right side past the rapids and then cut to the left between the islands. Your other choice would be to get out and drag the boat until you were far enough past the rapids to drop the motor back down. If you float from Montoursville down there are lots of places you can still use the motor to run back up and hit a stretch again. Later in the summer is really tough!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts