The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any tips and tricks for fishing rod storage? I have a pretty small home with short ceilings and bundling rods together in the corner of a room isn't cutting it. I'm tired of the tangled mess not to mention a broken rod tip or two. I have an some unfinished ceiling space in my basement and I'd like to find a way to hang them relatively inexpensively and efficiently. Any ideas, suggestions, or pictures of your storage setups?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yea.
If the ceailing is unfinished, buy some 1X3 or 1X4 and cut them in strips to fit from floor joist to the next. Even expand two joists to put them side by side if you want. Space them to hold the longest and shortest rods you have. Now, your rods will get dusty while sitting there, so wrap the rods in clear stretch wrap. You can buy this pretty cheap in the dollar stores. Keeps the tips with the butts on two or more peice rods.Wrap a few rods together to give them supprt. Turn a rod or two in different directions to also give the tips support,as they will be wrapped up against another rod butt.

Big D

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bigdady, my only problem with your suggestion is that my joists don't run in the direction that I have room, otherwise that would be perfect! The small space I have is interrupted by ductwork so I have to get them up in a way that is perpendicular to the joists. This means I will need to suspend them in some way, I'm just looking for a way that doesn't hang too low as the ceiling is already pretty short.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I made racks for both the walls and ceilings. Wall ones kinda look like gun racks. Takes up a good bit of room but its more for display in the man cave.
Good old Berkley plastic rod racks also work good if you're pressed for space.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Deuce you're a genius. I was going for something cheap and homemade, but I looked up Berkley Rod Holders and sure enough they make one that I could mount from the ceiling that will work perfectly.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Mount 1X4 with holes drilled for tips along one joist. Mount another one with larger holes for butts a couple joists away. Take a piece of rope, some electric or coax staples, and make a series of loops along bottom of one joist. Do the same a couple joists over. Just some other ideas.

·
Registered
444 Posts
you could just take the steel hooks out of bungees and fasten both ends the ceiling rafters and hang rods in them. or take 2 2"x4" and drill hole in one end and opposing end drill same hole but cut it so you can allow tip to enter. check out the wooden ones at cabelas. I got them and love em. easy, light, nice, cheap, and low pro.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts