The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be at Raystown for 4 or 5 days in mid May. I have never fished it.

Are there any websites that can give me some info to get started?

·
Registered
176 Posts
The bass could be in prespawn spawn or post spawn at that time of the year depending where you go on the lake. You should have a good trip

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Yeah depending on what kind of weather we get by then, and how warm the water gets, you should be seeing some largemouths starting to spawn. If they're not spawning yet, the smallmouths probably will be. I always targeted both species while on their beds. Check the shallower coves for underwater stumps and trees, the fish should be on their nests in those areas. If you can find some pea gravel bottom, that's even better. The early morning top water bite can be pretty good on the steep drop offs if you can find fish.

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys!!

It looks like I'll be packing a lot of different tackle.

I'm excited about the Lakers. I had never thought about them being in Raystown. For many years me and the guys I am going with fished Quebec in April / May for shallow Lakers. We switched to June to target bass and the Lakers were deep by then so I haven't caught one in 8 or 10 years.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Depending on the weather and water temps ,Crappies may be on the beds or could still be on the tree tops

Fish coffee run, shy beaver and James creek for crappie

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
The biggest thing I have ever learned about fishing there, is that if you plan on using down riggers, bring extra cannonballs, you're bound to get hung up on trees.

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
189 Posts
troutman42 said:
just keep an eye out for Raystown Ray, i hear he can be pretty aggressive in May
I second that!

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BillMotlet said:
troutman42 said:
just keep an eye out for Raystown Ray, i hear he can be pretty aggressive in May
I second that!
Yea! I heard about him. I hope he doesn’t have an appetite for little tin boats.

·
Registered
614 Posts
A little advice, If you have a little tin boat please keep a close watch on the weather, and wear your life jackets. People die on that lake every year.

My boat is 18'6" and I have several times wished I was at the dock instead of out on the water.

It's also a unlimited horsepower lake keep a close eye on the larger faster boats and their wake if you have a small boat.

Not trying to be discouraging, just be careful.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
crappie-hunter said:
A little advice, If you have a little tin boat please keep a close watch on the weather, and wear your life jackets. People die on that lake every year.

My boat is 18'6" and I have several times wished I was at the dock instead of out on the water.

It's also a unlimited horsepower lake keep a close eye on the larger faster boats and their wake if you have a small boat.

Not trying to be discouraging, just be careful.
I'll second that, and most times I pack it in around 10 or 11 in the morning, after the pleasure boaters get too crazy.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I will third that. 10am is usually the latest. They start cranking them 24-28 foot boats with the big block chevys on the back the biting stops in a big hurry. I know a guy that runs one there with twin 454's on the back. Sounds like the drag strip. But fishing 2-10am is a good time all summer pretty much cuz they gotta eat sometime

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Gonna tell ya right now... Raystown is tough right now. My bass club fished it yesterday, without me, I had to work... the entire club caught 2 short fish in 8 hours.

The water temp over there is still 39 degrees. The bass are not even remotely close to spawn and they wont be till that water is 60 consistently.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Also, theres plenty of no wake areas to fish an entire day without dealing with huge wake.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
When would a guy be best to try trolling for the lakers ?? How high up do they suspend ??

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
We've caught a good amount of stripers that time of year. Then mid morning we go to a couple hot spots and catch those greasy lake trout. Get your hands on a topo of the lake, that should help you immensely.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Shallows off the peninsulas of the upper mile markers. Stripers and walleye this time if year. Had to push ice out of the way getting there at different times. Main lake, just above 7 Points, half a dozen spots to hit this time of year. All good till the Dogwood are done blooming... Then its time to find deeper water!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts