The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was fishing in Maine.. Noticed that they only fish during high tide for strippers... Is this the general rule when surfing all salt water species that high tide is better than low tide? The Stripper by the way are hitting in Maine now during high tide and they are using Blood Worms..

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
For stripers and most other species I found that the last 3 hours of outgoing and first 3 hours incoming tide to be best. If fishing surf adjacent to inlet areas in spring the outgoing is normally best as water temperatures bump up from warmer water flushing out from shallow marshes etc. which can trigger feeding plus attract bait fish.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I agree with WW and Loggy. I've spent many summer days fishing Barnegat Light. My favorite is the incoming tide.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
For stripers and most other species I found that the last 3 hours of outgoing and first 3 hours incoming tide to be best. If fishing surf adjacent to inlet areas in spring the outgoing is normally best as water temperatures bump up from warmer water flushing out from shallow marshes etc. which can trigger feeding plus attract bait fish.

That's the same tide phase I fish the Delaware River for early striper, could actually narrow that window down to 1 1/2 hours either side of the tide.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Only my experience, but some fish are more tide-oriented than others, stripers most definitely bite best during a tide shift. Incoming is best, but outgoing very good also.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
In early flounder fishing (spring into summer) I only fish outgoing tide when fishing inside bays etc. The water temp can bump up 5 degree or more which can really trigger bite. Late summer into early fall incoming normally best.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
I agree with WW and Loggy. I've spent many summer days fishing Barnegat Light. My favorite is the incoming tide.
Yeper, Fished LBI most of my life, whether it be Back Bay or Ocean always had the best luck on the incoming tide
or Dead High tide.:smile2:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
it really depends on what your fishing for and where.
for instance weakfish hit better at dawn and dusk regardless of tide.
but if your stuck fishing the tides , incoming is better.

maine also has far bigger tide swings then the jersey shore , a typical tide in maine can swing between 8-11 ft where as in NJ is only 3-5ft
if NJ had maine tide swings you'd be able to walk across most NJ bays at low tide

·
Registered
3,656 Posts

it really depends on what your fishing for and where.
for instance weakfish hit better at dawn and dusk regardless of tide.
but if your stuck fishing the tides , incoming is better.

maine also has far bigger tide swings then the jersey shore , a typical tide in maine can swing between 8-11 ft where as in NJ is only 3-5ft
if NJ had maine tide swings you'd be able to walk across most NJ bays at low tide
Yeah, answer is "depends."
When I lived in Texas, slack tide was the worst time to fish, regardless. You wanted some movement, either incoming or outgoing. Tide swings on the gulf coast are pretty mild compared to Maine though.

Some of my best fishing was outgoing tides in the back marshes of trinity and east galveston bay where the creeks drained out, especially right after a heavy rain. The rain water adding to the outgoing would really flush the marshes of bait and shrimp and redfish would stack at the mouths of the creek gorging. My best day was three casts and three slot reds up 27"....made for a short trip there. Did don the waders for a quick wade down the shoreline looking for trout but about 100 yds into, seen a 10' or so gator surface and decided I'd head to the beachfront and surf fish for bull reds!

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Was at my Chincoteague place last 5 days & they had major flood tides every day. Hunter moon combined with offshore hurricane compounded pushing tidal surges in the area. Fishing/crabbing totally shutdown due to deteriorated water coloration. Gave me a chance away from playtime to devote to growing "honey do list"!! lol

Our marina/slips were totally underwater. First I ever seen this. Locals say sea level is slowly rising each year.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
slack tide is about the worst time to fish period ,
well unless you count clam digging as fishing??

tides down south had me in fits for awhile until I threw the book out on what I learned fishing NJ waters
there's really no comparables.
down in fla I found time of day or weather conditions were a bit more influential then the direction of a tide.
as long as it was moving. typically the difference was only 1-3 ft between high and low

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Another reason to avoid slack tide is the skate always seem to feed then!!:grin2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts