The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was trout fishing in the Yough and found some really nice looking water that has potential to hold some massive fish. I get down there using spinners and managed to pick up one, but this water is very deep and i cant figure out a way to get down deep enough to them before my line is already flushed down below me. Any tactics you guys use to work these kind of areas??

I'm used to fishing creeks such as laurel hill and loyalhanna so I'm used to larger waters. This area has an island right in the middle and im fishing the smaller water side of the island. Any tips would be greatly appriciated.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I use a 1oz zonker spinnerbait in deep chutes below cascades. Here's a nice one that took it. This was tied black zonker with a #7 gold willow main blade. I slipped a 1 inch piece of small opague pvc tube over a #4 single hook then cabled and crimped behind the spinnerbaits hook. The stinger pvc was visible swinging back and forth behind the spinnerbait in the crazy water and the 1oz wieght was the ticket to get down. He hit it on first pass thru. Cast across a bit up stream and it sank into the sweet spot I thought they would be working. Recommend trying them. Worked sweet.

Here's the spinnerbait. Zonker is 2 strips of furred rabbit hide tied where slip on skirt would ride. Looks like leach when wet.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I've had good luck standing up stream of an area like that and throwing a small rapala down stream. The retrieve working against the current will get the lure down where you need it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
You just need a heavier spinner. Most of the spinners found in stores for trout fishing are very light. This is one of the reasons many of us here make our own spinners, they have solid beads and are very heavy for their size and sink incredibly fast.

Next time you visit your tackle store, go into the bass section, when you see the one that you say is just a tad too big, buy it and try it.

I have a friend that fishes exclusively for large trout and his spinner size is twice if not 3x larger than what I normally use. It is quite surprising the small fish that will still hit it but when we get to the deep holes, he always gets the first shot because he is equipped for it....and he has proven time and time again, big lures catch big fish.

troutspinner

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks alot guys. I appriciate all the help. If anyone else has any suggestions I'd still like to hear them.

I'm going back out there soon and I'll experiment with all these methods. I'll post back on how they worked.

·
Banned
2,336 Posts
Although I rarely spin fish for trout anymore, I gotta agree with troutspinner, anytime I encountered high water I stepped up in spinner size big time and had good luck.

Now if we can just get some of that deep fast moving water in the northeast

·
Registered
61 Posts
I trout fish the Yough regularly. I fish using a 3/8 oz. spoon. Everyone that sees me tells me they're too big for trout. That's just fine with me as I catch quite a few with them. I cast quartering upriver and don't start reeling until I feel it hit bottom.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts