The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help here from boaters, I have been looking into buying a boat for some time and now that my brothers are getting older i was gonna give my dad back his 12' jon boat I have been using for the past 8ish years. So i feel its time to buy my own and after paddling an using a trolling motor on the 12 footer i want to upgrade to a little bit bigger boat. I tend to go fishing in hanover alot an smaller lakes for what ever im in the mood for i just enjoy being on the lake. I would how ever like to start some fishing on the susky for cats an bass but ive never had a motor large enough to safely operate in fast current. I have been looking at every boat along the road for sale an searching online. So my question are as follows.
-V-bottom or flat? for lakes and on the river is the v bottom not a good choice?
-motor size? i am unsure of the size outboard motor to look for more so for the river.

Im not new to boating i got my license when i was 17 in delware so i could operate my grandfathers pontoon boat in the Chesapeake. I rather like how bass boats have a flater higher surface i dont like sitting low in the boat an prefer to fish standing i have seen a v bottom boat tht is flat inside the hull. Any info would be great thanks.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
If you want to fish the river but want to be fine out on PA's normal lakes, something like a Lowe Roughneck with a 50/35 horse jet (with the prop conversion) will be a good start (unless you want to fish restricted lakes). But, if you can safely fish the river without the jet then I'd get a boat with just the prop. The 16' Roughneck or similar with a 20 hp will be just fine. Never fished the Susky so I can't help you on whether a jet would be the right propulsion or not.

·
Registered
17,319 Posts
You'll get a lot of different opinions on boats. I prefer a deep-v aluminum with a front casting deck. Deep-v's take rough water a lot nicer than semi-v's or flat bottoms. I also prefer a tiller motor over a console. To me, consoles take up too much room in smaller boats that could be used otherwise (cooler, minnow cooler, etc).

A buddy of mine has a Carolina Skiff J16 like birch posted above, and while it is a nice boat, it doesn't take rough water (like Pymatuning) very well, and you do get wet alot in it. Also, they are very narrow boats, and no room for rod lockers on the sides.

Another plus for the deep-v's over semi-v's or flat bottoms, is that you can set them up with rod holders for trolling.

My 16 1/2' Lowe Angler is perfect for us. Can fish for crappies all day long, or put the rod holders in and be trolling for walleyes in a matter of minutes.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
11,390 Posts
hi_tech_redneck said:
A buddy of mine has a Carolina Skiff J16 like birch posted above, and while it is a nice boat, it doesn't take rough water (like Pymatuning) very well, /quote]

They are fiberglass and fiberglass does not mix well with rocks. Susquehanna = rocks.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im looking at a 14' alum v bottom this week the current owner just used a large trolling motor with it but im planning on looking into a small outboard motor. It has a modified inside so its a flat surface with seats which was what i was looking for since i like to stand while fishing plus my dog can come along. I dont plan on fishing the rocky sections of the river but it would be nice to fish the calmer sections. Im looking into a 10hp an under since i dont want to spend over a grand on a motor just yet.

·
Registered
366 Posts
If I was doing a large amount of fishing down on the Susquehanna with some hit and miss lakes, I'd be looking at rockproofboats.com or a firefish boat as a starting spot. I've got a 20' fiberglass ski and fish with a 175 on it. Great for all the lakes that I fish, but I'm real careful when I hit the river. I've seen video footage of those river jets doing some amazing things in rocky bottoms.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thinkin more so lakes then anything, looking into a 14' v bottom this week and stopping by to look at a 4hp 82' johnson motor nothing new or fancy but really just need something to move the boat faster then a trolling motor from one spot to the next. wasnt sure since it is an older motor but seems like lots of the small older johnson motors are still round figured might be worth a look.

·
Registered
17,319 Posts
Dogface said:
hi_tech_redneck said:
A buddy of mine has a Carolina Skiff J16 like birch posted above, and while it is a nice boat, it doesn't take rough water (like Pymatuning) very well, /quote]

They are fiberglass and fiberglass does not mix well with rocks. Susquehanna = rocks.

He fishes lakes only, but rocks are another reason to have an aluminum boat.

·
Registered
17,319 Posts
miller17015 said:
thinkin more so lakes then anything, looking into a 14' v bottom this week and stopping by to look at a 4hp 82' johnson motor nothing new or fancy but really just need something to move the boat faster then a trolling motor from one spot to the next. wasnt sure since it is an older motor but seems like lots of the small older johnson motors are still round figured might be worth a look.
Do yourself a favor and get as big a motor as you can afford. If you get a small motor, because it is cheap, you will end up spending more money later on, on a bigger motor. Been down that road.

There are alot of 15hp motors out there under a grand. Not only will it save you money in the long run, you have more hp to get you off the water if the weather gets bad. You will have a rough time getting through bigger waves with a small motor. Again, speaking from experience.

I once had a 9.8 merc on a 12 foot smoker craft, and it took my daughter (10 yrs old at the time) and I, 3 hrs to go 4 miles back to the campground at pymatuning when 3-4 ft white caps all of a sudden showed up. I had her lay on the floor and I was white knuckled the entire trip back.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'll second that. It's easy to just use a little bit of throttle to putt around. But you'll want that extra power of a bigger motor at some point.

·
Registered
17,319 Posts
External links are not permitted here, but I just did a quick search on the rennug (old pennswoods) website, and there are a few 15hp tiller motors on there right now.

You could also place a want ad on here in the "Wanted To Buy" forum up in the classifieds.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i if i this boat i kinda wanna keep the price of the motor down considering i have 2 truck payment house pets and other bill and having just shelled out 1500$ for the one truck i dont wanna spend a grand on a motor plus i remember my grandpa Mercury on his pontoon having problems and it was such a large one it cost 200 bucks just for parts and we still didnt get it going.
i just dont have a couple extra grand to spend now on a new boat or i would just get a newer one.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
are older motors still reliable tho?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
found a johnson 4hp for 275$ and a 6hp for 500$

·
Registered
602 Posts
Old 2 strokes are about as reliable as they come...do yourself a favor and wait until you can get at least a 16 footer, if you like to stand up while you fish the 12-14 are way too unstable in a deep v...14 foot Jon boats aren't too bad but still not good. Keep an eye out on Craigslist for an old Starcraft they can be had for 500 or less and are great boats. Friend of mine just bought an 18 foot deep v with a 100hp Johnson for 400 bucks. There is a 16 in Irwin pa for 300 with a trailer right now. Pull out the console build a casting deck and get a 15 tiller you'd be good to go

Any wind, waves, or current you aren't going anywhere with a 4 or 6hp

·
Registered
17,319 Posts
I agree with everything except for the 14 foot deep-v's being unstable part. It all depends on the width. My Princecraft 142 BT had a 73" beam and was just as stable as my current boat, which is a Lowe Angler 165T with a 77" beam.

·
Banned
444 Posts
Having had many boats and styles over many years, I finally settled on an Alumacraft 145 Escape. Deep V with console. Stable as can be. Pushed by a 18 horse Tohatsu. Probably NOT the boat for the rivers, but is totally boss on unpredictable lakes like Pymy. Really a solo boat or fine with 2. Crowded with 3. Easy to trailer and launch solo. It was spendy, but I know I will never want to trade it, like every other boat that preceeded it. Everyone wants something different, and it is hard to find the right mix. I found mine. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts