The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I seen one about 15 years ago in Blair county... Hopping through about 3-4 feet of snow in Flinter season. Was only feet away!!! My dad tried to tell me it was a groundhog! Now we see quit a few all areas we hunt! NICE PICS!!!

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Sure, said to be porkies, yet I have not seen any carcasses in the mountains! HUNDREDS of live porkies, though. And see many fishers in swampy bottom areas void of the porcupine! Last fisher I seen was eating apples from under the trees I was archery hunting!

·
Super Moderator
13,222 Posts
They will starve in Washington County...no Porky's

Do they eat anything else?

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
Fishers are generalist predators. They will feed on any animal they can catch and will eat carrion. They are also known to supplement their meat diet with insects, nuts, berries, and mushrooms. Their primary prey includes snowshoe hare and porcupine. Since they are solitary hunters their choice of prey is limited to their size. Analyses of stomach contents and scat have found evidence of birds, small mammals and even deer. The latter food sources shows that they are not averse to eating carrion. Fishers have been observed to feed on the carcasses of deer left by hunters.

Fishers are one of the few predators that seek out and kill porcupines.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
The 'Yote I shot this past fall had just gotten into one prior to running down the trail to me. Bunch of quills on his bloodied muzzle and paws.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
He was prob glad you put him outta his misery....

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
the fishers I have encountered were all feeding on my bait piles which consist of butcher scraps, dead layer hens, road kill deer etc.... in other words, meat!

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
I guess they are quite the oportunistic feeders....

·
Super Moderator
13,222 Posts
PADingo said:
Fishers are generalist predators. They will feed on any animal they can catch and will eat carrion. They are also known to supplement their meat diet with insects, nuts, berries, and mushrooms. Their primary prey includes snowshoe hare and porcupine. Since they are solitary hunters their choice of prey is limited to their size. Analyses of stomach contents and scat have found evidence of birds, small mammals and even deer. The latter food sources shows that they are not averse to eating carrion. Fishers have been observed to feed on the carcasses of deer left by hunters.

Fishers are one of the few predators that seek out and kill porcupines.
Sounds like we have a coyote that can climb a tree.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts