The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone setting for fishers next Saturday?
What size of traps are you using and are you making any specific sets?
I will be making a few cubby sets and then some dirtholes for them either using a #2 or 3(in case of coyote and snow).

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'll be setting bucket sets with 160's probably only three and six dirt hole or flat sets for Bobcat using #3 Brighers or Gibbs.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Are we allowed to use 160`s in a bucket set in Pa?I know we can use 110 for mink and muskrat in a waterway.If you get two in one night in 160`s it`s going to be hard to let one go.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Forestman3 said:
Are we allowed to use 160`s in a bucket set in Pa?I know we can use 110 for mink and muskrat in a waterway.If you get two in one night in 160`s it`s going to be hard to let one go.
No we are not allowed to set for fishers this way. He needs to read the " book" to be sure to stay out of trouble. Something everyone should do whether it's the first time we are allowed to harvest a certain animal or the millionth time you gotta read the regs man !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
I just looked through the entire digest online using the search feature and looking for the word "fisher". The only thing is says in regards to what traps may be used in the taking of fishers is this:

"There have been no regulation changes regarding the types of traps allowed or sets that may be used to take fishers during this season."

Since you couldn't trap fishers before now, that leads me to believe that you can use any legal trap you want (not cable restraints) as long as they are set legally. In other words, you can use conibears provided they are set up in a watercourse.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Adam you are correct but what is to happen if one was to set more than one conibear trap and got lucky or should I say unlucky to catch 2 or even more fishers in this type of trap the same night? As it has been said in a prev. post " pretty hard to release one in a conibear". I would think the PGC would be better off making it legal to use cable restraints for fishers and cats. At least there is the abiltity to release the animal were a body gripper there is no chance. When one thinks of fisher trapping with a 160 bucket set don't you picture the leaning log set with the bucket at the top and a coni in between in the middle of hemlock forest, no where near a "water coarse"? I could see setting maybe one in your fisher line but setting any more you may just be looking for problems IMO. Just something to keep in mind and I do not want to see any one of us get in trouble. We don't need it with all the antis out there.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You are allowed to use conibears... as many as you want. However you do draw the risk of catching more than 1.
As long as they are in a waterway (a ditch is a waterway even if it is dry).

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
I guess that's a risk that you have to be willing to take if someone want to set conibears for fishers. If you catch more than 1, you'll have to report the accidental catch to a PGC officer, much like if you caught 1 outside of the WMU's it's legal to trap them in, or if you were to pinch an otter or something else out of season.

As for the leaning log set, I'm guessing even that's legal if it's "in a waterway".

·
Registered
625 Posts
I side with bob and adam on this... Not much different than using a drowner rig, or buckets for coon. As far as just using one on your line, that had better be your first check or it's pointless. Think about it... or overthink it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Fisher use water ways near the same as coon and it is a very good place to trap them. A trapper who thinks there is only one way to set a bucket set is not a very forward thinking trapper. Bob Jamison must read the same book I do as does Adam. As for the 3 160 sets I have 3 160's I'll set one at a time. Grab your heart medicine long beard, you gotta read the regs man!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
i wanted to try to get a fisher...but like eager beaver said, the snow in the northwest is DEEP...i dont think it would be a good time to try to learn to trap....theres a bunch of them around my buddies camp..

·
Registered
45 Posts
The snow won't bother Fisher just walk a stream bank with plenty of Hemlock trees and pick a place to set, use a stinky bait, Fisher aren't spooky and will probably run in your tracks.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
I saw a fisher the first day of buck season, and the first saturday.........once on a logging road above me once on a logging road below me, so I ma going to try and set both of those roads and hopefully Mr. Fisher cooperates....

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
the snow would bother ME...i have a basic idea of how to trap..but have never done it...theres a foot or so of snow at camp right now...but, i have access to miles of hemlock creek bottom that hardly gets snow...and i know my buddy got a fisher crossing a log over the stream he had set blind for yotes that used the log..

wish i had some traps...im laid off and would give it heck...still might if i could find a couple traps..buddy says he thinks theres a few in the attic at his camp but i have no idea if there are or what there is....i want a fisher hide to hang on the wall!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts