The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a coworker of mine was just telling me that her dog was killed last night by a fisher.. apparently the game commission left 6 of them go around newville mountains, so watch your pets!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Someone my wife worked with in Chamersburg shot one on his farm 2ish years a go because it was eating one of his chickens. The pgc was [censored] he said. I saw the picture it was definitely a fisher. Im not sure where he lived exacly but still in the same vacinity.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They heard it attacking the dog, the husband ran out.. and I guess it was too late (older dog). They called the pgc and said they released some in the area to help control the tom cat population I guess.. and you're not allowed to shoot them, correct?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Good question! I believe pets are considered personal property and the owner can protect that property by removing wildlife unless it's a big game animal or endangered species. Since there is a trapping season on fishers, I don't believe it would be considered endangered.

·
Registered
260 Posts
There is a good article on fishers in the latest PA game news. No offense to your coworker, but fishers haven't been released in many years, and I'd be shocked if a GC employee said they were released to control cats. However, there is a (growing) population of them in nearly every corner of the state.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Chad1 said:
There is a good article on fishers in the latest PA game news. No offense to your coworker, but fishers haven't been released in many years, and I'd be shocked if a GC employee said they were released to control cats. However, there is a (growing) population of them in nearly every corner of the state.
Bingo! Another typical "I heard" story. Beware the giant, menacing fishers roaming PA, lol.

·
Registered
20,297 Posts
the ones that got stocked are HUGE. they have been fed a diet of Genetically Modified Fish and all that Genetically altered corn and soybean.

seriously though, we got some pics of fishers on our trail cams in Erie and crawford county.

·
Registered
491 Posts
If true, it must have been a real small dog. A fisher is generally under 10lb.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Cousin caught a fisher here in Punxsy PA right outside of town 2 years ago. They are around and frequently hear stories of sightings.
I found one must have been hit by a car and died in the creek last fishing season too. I have a picture of it on my phone but don't know how to post.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts