The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who's going after them? 1a don't have a season yet, but i'm getting tired of letting them go! fast little mean buggers!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Depends if I can get the time. Mom is in need of much care at this time. Good luck trappers'

·
Registered
18,455 Posts
The population has exploded in my area the last few years. I've caught six of them. Managed one during the short season.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Nice catch CC.

It's just amazing how fast that the fisher population not only exploded but has spread so fast across the state.

Nice mount also Beagler.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Fisher were stocked back 20-30yrs ago I believe it was...

Look up PA Fisher reintroduction. I am pretty sure there were none known to exsist in PA....

·
Registered
626 Posts
wanted em to reduce the population of the porcupines if i heard right. haha thats not from anybody official. but it sounds like a GC thing to do. introduce a prob to fix a prob. now i hear stories of people seeing fisher attacking rabbits and newborn fawns

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i know my turkeys are getting scarce..............

·
Registered
436 Posts
definitely going, already released 1 so far this year, and that was on property that i've not previously snapped any fisher on. dont plan on setting there, but i have other areas that seem to have more i go after.

·
Super Moderator
5,027 Posts
I'm not buying that fishers kill a lot of porcupines. We have way more porcupines now than ever, and we have a high fisher population in the area I hunt and trap. There are a lot easier animals in the woods to kill than them. I never find any carcasses of killed porcupines, but have found the remains of turkeys. I'd venture to say I shoot more porcupines while hunting and checking traps than the fishers catch and kill.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Bigbrownie said:
I'm not buying that fishers kill a lot of porcupines. We have way more porcupines now than ever, and we have a high fisher population in the area I hunt and trap. There are a lot easier animals in the woods to kill than them. I never find any carcasses of killed porcupines, but have found the remains of turkeys. I'd venture to say I shoot more porcupines while hunting and checking traps than the fishers catch and kill.
well if the fishers get the weak and stupid maybe the gene pool is stronger. im no biologist but it makes sense in my head. if this needs a separate thread so be it but its an interesting conversation

·
Registered
18,455 Posts
They kill just about everything, vicious critters. Snowshoe hare have disappeared in a location where they have always been prevalent near me. Fisher tracks everywhere there now. No good.

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
That's what I heard too. I don't know if they were stocked down South say Washington/Greene Co,s but was told up North the porky was causing havoc on the trees up north chewin away the bark. Im told from folks in Clearfield Co.their causing havoc on their turkey populations also.They were reintroduced in 1994 22 of them and they were released in the Sproul state forest.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
They are agile enough to catch a squirrel in the tree tops, vicious enough to kill a coon or fox, and they put up quite a fight against a catch pole.
They will clean out a den of coon pups like child's play.
I think there is very little that is safe if they want to kill it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts