The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pretty sure this is a fisher den. my buddy seen one here a couple years ago.

there were 3 trails heading into it, all had dripping blood on them.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no pics of the tracks, i didn't even look for those.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If you didn't try to ID tracks, what makes you think the den is a fisher den?

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
My guess is skunk

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I'd say because it was his logical guess from it being a known fisher area. It was a simple question by the man, no need for such a smart remark...

·
Banned
4,988 Posts
G.C. Archer said:
I'd say because it was his logical guess from it being a known fisher area. It was a simple question by the man, no need for such a smart remark...
I don't think he meant it as a "smart" remark, just a question.

·
Registered
196 Posts
G.C. Archer said:
Agreed...Seems logical to me also...I have a buddy who traps and tjinks there are otters around his swamp...I didnt think they were around here....Possible?

·
Super Moderator
14,272 Posts
I would need to see a lot more evidence of it being a fisher using that hole in the ground to make me a believer.

Fisher typically use holes I large trees as their den. They will enter some holes in the ground while hunting but it would be very unusual for one to den in the ground.

Just from what I can see in the pictures I would be more included to suspect a mink killed something in that hole and has gone in and out of the various holes several times while feeding on its prey.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
R. S. B. said:
I would need to see a lot more evidence of it being a fisher using that hole in the ground to make me a believer.

Fisher typically use holes I large trees as their den. They will enter some holes in the ground while hunting but it would be very unusual for one to den in the ground.

Just from what I can see in the pictures I would be more included to suspect a mink killed something in that hole and has gone in and out of the various holes several times while feeding on its prey.

Dick Bodenhorn
Agreed. Cool find nonetheless.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Theres another area we hunt that had a couple holes in the ground like this and we have seen porkys near it. Being that my buddy seen a fisher near this area, i assumed it was a fisher den. I didn't see any bloody trails near the Porkys hiding spots but where these pics were taken it was all blood trails. Maybe its a mountain lion den, ill have tto camp out there and get pics.

Would a mink live where there isn't much water ? This little valley barely ever has water in it.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Mink will travel overland quite a dixtance but they are more commonly found around waterways.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
I think you may have found a fisher den area or his hunting spot. Would be neat if you could go back and look for clear tracks or follow them and see if some go up trees. Fishers like to hunt around logs and windblows. I cane across one area like you have pictured and found it to not be a fisher den but it was a den area for other animals that the fisher liked to hunt. If there is a hollow log under that snow it could be a fisher den.

Mink away from water usually are just passing through which is common this time of year for the males. I would not think a mink would pat down trails like this away from a home area near a water source. The trails also look too wide to be mink. Someone said skunk and that is very possible as well.
Next time in the area look close for some good tracks and also for some fur on the ends of the logs the trail crosses. An animal almost always leaves some hair or fur at the entrance to a den over time. Waugh!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have heard from the guy my father and I sell our furs to that there are otters in pa but mostly SW PA like keystone dam area and farther that way.

To me this also looks like maybe a fisher hunting area. Agree with the to wide for mink. If you say there are Porky's around there and Porky's are what fishers like to go for then Id lean towards it being a Porky den and the fisher killed it and has been feeding on it. Usually they take there kill with them up the tree to there den but then again!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Female Fisher do den in trees. The main diet of fisher are porkys and rabbits, but they are also known to supplement their diet with insects, nuts, berries, and mushrooms. They are also known to feed on carrion.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts