The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO! I fish a stocked stream in Lancaster County, and I feel like I'm not doing as well as I have been over the past few years.

Two questions:

Do you guys fish though the chubbs? Like I catch a ton of creek chubbs, sometimes from spots I can see trout in... should I stay and keep trying and weed through the chubbs or move on to the next spot?

Do you target moving water? and are shallow riffles a place I am over looking?

FINALLY- Artificial baits? Is it too early for rooster tails? and have you ever used trout magnets?!?!?

My info in return- so far I've only caught two trout, both big rainbows, and both on a meal work on a #12 (?) hook, without any weight!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Never too early for rooster tails or trout magnets. I've caught holdovers and wild fish on both with ice forming in my rod guides. This early in the season with stockies, I would stick to the deeper holes and runs. It seems the stockies don't start moving out of the holes until May or so.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I went for stockies yesterday in a Lanc stocked stream. Took me 3 hours of driving and walking to find one stretch with some stickies that were significantly spooked. I figured out that they needed a lot of time to inspect my bait before committing. Instead if drifting the worm through with the current I let it hit bottom a foot in front of its face. After a minute it scooched closer and finally inhaled it --- into the pan

·
Registered
488 Posts
If you're fishing a small stream that has a lot of chubs you might want to stay away from baits like worms and meal worms. The chubs just tear those things up before the trout even have a chance to get a decent look. In those situations I would go with Powerbait, live minnows, or fish with spinners. I catch most of my trout in the slower and deeper water. For most baitfishing situations I use a size 8 or size 10 hook along with a size 7 or size 3/0 split shot. I also have a lot of success with spinners, especially in warmer weather or right after trout are stocked.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
thatswhy i use minnies to eliminate chubb bites..works in the stream i fish..occassionally catch a large chub but rarely

·
Registered
444 Posts
I swear by trout magnets and its mostly all I use and I like to target deeper slow moving water to work the jigs through and as for the chubs....I use them for catfish bait so I keep a freezer bag in my vest and in it they go lol

·
Registered
644 Posts
trout magnets, spinners,spoons, and small crankbaits. small crankbaits make the picky ones hit like a rocketship.

some people are like trout wizards though and I still cant figure that out, when I was younger id watch people catch like every trout in a hole on meal worms, so I decided id give it ago, and every time i would get so mad I would wanna break my rod in half and give up. so now I just stick with artificial lures.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts