The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious if anyone out there has tried making fish jerky in a dehydrator...as I do not have a smoker. Im a stealhead fisherman this time of year. I practice catch and release but sometimes one comes home with me. I usually get them smoked but want to try something new. Its kinda hard to put them in the freezer when I already have it packed with walleye...Im sure you guys can understand that. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
10,667 Posts
i have had salmon jerky and it was awesome.....never made it though but all in all i think i like smoked fish better then any other way to have it.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
I have made it but do not use a dehydrator, I use a smoker...

Better then the dehydrator, use your oven.. set the temp control at 200 and crack the door and then keep an eye on the fish!

Place a pan under the fillets or strips to catch the drippings so you do not create a mess!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
An old friend of mine lived in Alaska and used to get this snack stick/jerky type of snack made from Salmon. He said it was the best thing he'd ever eaten. I can't for the life of me remember what he called it in order to look up a recipe on Google. I'd imagine Steelhead would work just as well as Salmon. He described it as a sweet/sour kind of jerky that used to be made by the Natives to preserve the Salmon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts