The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious if anyone out there has tried making fish jerky in a dehydrator...as I do not have a smoker. Im a stealhead fisherman this time of year. I practice catch and release but sometimes one comes home with me. I usually get them smoked but want to try something new. Its kinda hard to put them in the freezer when I already have it packed with walleye...Im sure you guys can understand that. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
10,667 Posts
i have had salmon jerky and it was awesome.....never made it though but all in all i think i like smoked fish better then any other way to have it.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
I have made it but do not use a dehydrator, I use a smoker...

Better then the dehydrator, use your oven.. set the temp control at 200 and crack the door and then keep an eye on the fish!

Place a pan under the fillets or strips to catch the drippings so you do not create a mess!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
An old friend of mine lived in Alaska and used to get this snack stick/jerky type of snack made from Salmon. He said it was the best thing he'd ever eaten. I can't for the life of me remember what he called it in order to look up a recipe on Google. I'd imagine Steelhead would work just as well as Salmon. He described it as a sweet/sour kind of jerky that used to be made by the Natives to preserve the Salmon.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I went up to Alaska last month. We were given samples (four pieces) of salmon jerky made with king salmon. It was out of this world. It was in Ketchican where we got it..Google Ketchican.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts