The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, been a while since I posted. Work, family, etc. I caught this chromed out fish in a NJ wild brown stream. Never seen one like it before? I’m getting people saying brown with unique coloring or landlocked Atlantic salmon. The stream this was caught in is nowhere near any of the Atlantic salmon lakes in the state. What say you? Thanks!
Mesh Textile Organism Line Net
Fishing net Organism Mesh Water Liquid
Vertebrate Mesh Organism Natural material Net
Fishing net Organism Mesh Water Liquid
Vertebrate Fishing net Organism Fish Mesh

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Hey all, been a while since I posted. Work, family, etc. I caught this chromed out fish in a NJ wild brown stream. Never seen one like it before? I’m getting people saying brown with unique coloring or landlocked Atlantic salmon. The stream this was caught in is nowhere near any of the Atlantic salmon lakes in the state. What say you? Thanks!
That is a brown trout. Sometimes wild trout are darkly colored like that.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Never seen one with that coloration.
Brown trout seem to have a lot of color variations.
I’ve seen very dull or dark colored wild browns. It happens often in streams where there’s a lot of shade or cover.

It’s amazing how different the coloration and spotting patterns of browns is within the same stream. In one stream that I fish, many of the browns have heavy black spotting and few or no red spots, while others have bright red spots, and a few have a belly that’s almost orange. Some browns are brilliantly yellow, while others are almost silver.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I’ve seen very dull or dark colored wild browns. It happens often in streams where there’s a lot of shade or cover.

It’s amazing how different the coloration and spotting patterns of browns is within the same stream. In one stream that I fish, many of the browns have heavy black spotting and few or no red spots, while others have bright red spots, and a few have a belly that’s almost orange. Some browns are brilliantly yellow, while others are almost silver.
That’s how the Wallenpaupack stream is because there’s a mix of wild fish and stockies. I’ve noticed the wild browns from that stream have a faint blue dot on their gill plate. Never saw that any where else.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
It's certainly an interesting looking salmonid, I'd send those photos & info to the NJDFW and see what they think but it's most likely a brown trout. At first I thought I thought the caudal fin was slightly forked but in some of the photos it looks more squared like a brown trout. I've caught a few LLS and browns in the same stream. Ive actually caught a couple Atlantic salmon smolts too. They can all look remarkably similar. Curious, how many LLS have folks here caught to know the difference between them and a brown trout?

The LLS in NJ are raised at Hackettstown but all the trout are all raised at Pequest so it's unlikely some would get in with the trout for stocking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts