The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
The last 3 units I bought have been Hummingbirds. They seem to be the best value for the money. An added bonus for me is that I am familiar with the operation which is similar for the 3 units.

I had Lowrance units previously. There were no negatives to the Lowrance units but I wanted side imaging and they did not have it when I bought my first Hummingbird.

You will not go wrong with either brand but I'd start looking at the Hummingbird Helix units.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
What features are you looking for?

·
Super Moderator
4,613 Posts
I’d say whatever you can get, unless you’re not in a hurry…. availability is terrible right now!

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I have had various Humminbird models over the last 20+ years. Its been a few years since I upgraded so Im not familiar with the newest features and pricing compared to other manufacturers. The only minor complaint I have is with the power cord on the Helix unit I have mounted on my console, it sometimes vibrates out causing the unit to lose power. The cord is just a compression fit versus a mechanical clamp on the older models that I had. Overall I would have to say that the Humminbirds are quality/dependable units.

I have only ever had to deal with Humminbird directly one time. I had ordered a replacement transducer and some how the order got messed up. They were easy to deal with and they corrected the problem quickly. So I would also recommend Humminbird based on my customer service experience with them.

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have 2 boats set up to use my 788 and was hoping to get a new unit that would fit on the same base and use the same power cord and transducer ,, but it appears thats not the case ,, poor engineering , so right now not looking , might look at other brands

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
I have 2 boats set up to use my 788 and was hoping to get a new unit that would fit on the same base and use the same power cord and transducer ,, but it appears thats not the case ,, poor engineering , so right now not looking , might look at other brands
Poor engineering or most likely advanced technology and more features.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts