The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was a kid in Wilkes Barre. My mom would make Chicken Soup, Beef Soup, Lima Bean Soup, Kapusta (cabbage) Kidney Soup, but never any kind of seafood soup...Now when I visit a restaurant and the have any kind of Seafood soup, chowders, bisque, etc. I really take advantage of the situation...I do realize that restarurants are a lot different then they were in the 50-60's. Fridays most have some kind of a seafood soup.. Do the restaurants in the Wyoming Valley serve seafood based soups? What i'm getting at now.. Wow Blue Gills, and Yellow Perch would make excellent seafood soups.. If I was going out to catch 50 Yellow Perch on the hard water now.. Those babies would end up into a seafood chowder.. I don't care that my wife would get up set if I stunk up the house..

·
Registered
20,191 Posts
There is a big difference between fish chowder and real seafood based soups. I have come to realize in the mountains there is no such thing as seafood anything :grin

They will get a 30 qt pot of potatoes soup, toss in some diced potatoes, nutmeg, pepper and a can of cat food and call it fresh clam chowder.

As a kid we found a bunch of conch shells on the jersey shore beach, with the conch living happily inside. We took about a dozen home and put them in a big pot of water and tried to boil them out of the shells. It took about 3 days to get that smell out of the house.
I had several occasions as a adult to eat conch soup and that smell comes back in my head and I can't even look at it.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
the closer to the ocean you are the better seafood based food will be.with the best always being at the waters edge.

one of the keys to any soup or chowder is starting with a seafood stock.
while you can find beef stock or chicken stock pretty easy.
a good seafood stock is hard to come by.
seafood stock is not easy to make and if the wrong species of fish is used it can turn into a hazmat situation

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Friday... That be the day that restaurants in Pa have some kind of fish or seafood chowder on the menu... Kind of in honor of Catholics since they use to fast on Friday. They still might?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts