The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is the fiscal cliff bad, everybody says we need to cut gov. spending and the sooner the better, and since the gutless representatives won't do it, here is a way to get some cuts in spending. The fiscal cliff is a good thing. Granted there will be pain, but there always be pain. Instead of caving in to Obama, the republicans should be using this to their advantage.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I find it amusing that a politician says the phrase fiscal cliff and not it is the buzz word for the liberal media.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you think about it, their never going to cut it on their own, I look at it as a golden opportunity. Granted it is going to be painful but there is no way to get out if this without pain.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
They need to cut federal pensions 1st,leave medicare and social security
of the 3 that arent effective by the fiscal cliff.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
The problem is that the wrong things are going to be cut. Time to get the waste out of government. Even though they just gave the biggest waste another 4 years.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts

·
Registered
19,190 Posts
Instead of caving in to Obama, the republicans should be using this to their advantage.
They're all NIMBYs.

One thing is for sure, the whole DC Tri-state area will be crippled if these cuts happen. They're going to fight tooth and nail to stop/prevent any cuts regardless of what the cost may be to the country in the long run. They have no plan whatsoever as an alternative, so I agree with you- time to rip the bandage off. Get it over with. 20 years from now nobody will know or care what happened any more than we care now about what happened to sail-makers when the steam engine was invented, what happened to horse cobblers when the car came along, or what happened to the candle industry when the light bulb was invented.

BH

·
Registered
22,041 Posts
I was a little young back in those days but didn't then Sec of Defense Dick Cheney cut the military budget by around 25% and cut active duty soldiers back big time?

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
SigPro2340 said:
I was a little young back in those days but didn't then Sec of Defense Dick Cheney cut the military budget by around 25% and cut active duty soldiers back big time?
provide a link please. I am unaware of a 25% cut to the military spending.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
g17 said:
"When the Cold War ended 20 years ago, when I was Chairman [of the Joint Chiefs] and Mr. [Richard] Cheney was Secretary of Defense, we cut the defense budget by 25 percent, and we reduced the force by 500,000 active duty soldiers."

--Retired Gen. Colin L. Powell, January 23, 2011

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/fact-checker/2011/01/cutting_the_defense_budget.html
Had to go to some charts to see this. I was assuming he meant in one year, which obviously was not the case. Perhaps over a few years.

·
Registered
19,190 Posts
Those cuts were big. I graduated PSU in 93, aerospace engineering. They boasted a decades long record of 100% job placement, almost all defense related. Phila Navy Yard would hire tons of PSU engineering students for internships. Then a terrible wave of peace came across the world, Navy yard became a ghost town. No internships (there or anywhere else). We had @ 70 students in our graduating class and one of them got a job offer by graduation time.

World didn't end, we moved on.

BH

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
End of the cold war "peace" dividend. Where did all of those peace dollars go?

Really an early realignment and one of the reasons the liberals have been somewhat successful for 20 years. The communist threat moved from being a clearly visible threat to a more obscure threat.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
It's not a cliff to fall off. These programs are all staggered and happen over a period of time. Alot of this hysteria comes from the defense industries who are trying to protect their interests with fear.
2 truths about what is coming-Taxes are going up and cuts are going to be made.

·
Registered
19,190 Posts
It's a 2-edge sword- the defense industry employs tons of people in very high paying technical fields. Most of them happen to be, if not physically, then very well represented in the DC Metro area. I have no problem cutting defense spending if it needs to be cut, but the politicians have to answer to their constituencies.

Interestingly, many of these defense jobs are in solid Dem areas. The Dems are fighting to maintain them too. So I find it interesting when folks try to make the case the Right is protecting defense spending. The Left is doing it too. THey're all doing it.

No politician wants to look at his/her district and see defense contractors closing shop and say "I did if for the good of our country". Left or Right.

How are the manufacturers of military vehicles (like GM) going to handle a reduction in orders? Layoffs? How does somebody like Obama go to GM saying he's their hero when he's been fighting to cut their order intake?

It's going to get very interesting. And I don't think it's a coincidence this was scheduled to happen after the election.

BH

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I think that anybody who has spent any time at all in the military knows that there is plenty of waste. The problem is the waste is most always never touched. The fighting force is always cut and the civilian workforce is only marginally reduced and then it seems it's always the lower pay grades and not the senior ones. I agree with a drastic cut in DoD but it must be done wisely, across all services and the entire civilian structure.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
In 2011 there were defense related contracts in 435 of the 435 congressional districts. This is not an accident. 170,000 gov't contractors. That's a lot of jobs.

Sequestration was the "grand compromise" of last year. This afternoon BO is going to spout the need for another "grand compromise". The heck with that, let this baby be born and lets just see what happens when there is compromise with the left. Let it rip, I've got plenty of Boy Scout popcorn to go around.

Fifty some odd days and lets take a look at the markets then.

Some more interesting nuggets. 3 of the top 5 districts for DoD money are DC, and Northern Virginia. Not surprising but they all voted for BO. 3 of the top 5 districts are dem districts. This is a bipartisan problem yet it is always presented by the dems as a repub issues. They ignore it.

Talked with a buddy who is high level gov't employee. He agrees that sequestration should happen. He may be moving in with me but we agree to let it rip.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts