The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moved on from gas and now going with charcoal. Really enjoying it so far and hope to be cooking some venison on it come fall. Any pointers or tips would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Very nice. Love my Weber. That's my weekend grill, gas is my weeknight grill.

I like lump charcoal. I think it's a little easier to light and adjust the temp.

I also have the KettlePizza kit. If you're into that sorta thing it makes some decent, not great, but decent wood fired za.

·
Premium Member
24,312 Posts
Yep...been through gas & electric and finally back to charcoal in my Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker. Buy a good grade charcoal such as Royal Oak.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I returned to the classic style ten years ago and haven't looked back. Just can't beat charcoal and a Weber for the true grilling experience! And the chimney is essential; lighter fluid is simply not done at my house. I like the charcoal ritual because it makes me slow down and enjoy the moment, plus while waiting for the coals I relax, smoke my pipe and have a gin and tonic or an ice cold Straubs!

·
Registered
9,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I returned to the classic style ten years ago and haven't looked back. Just can't beat charcoal and a Weber for the true grilling experience! And the chimney is essential; lighter fluid is simply not done at my house. I like the charcoal ritual because it makes me slow down and enjoy the moment, plus while waiting for the coals I relax, smoke my pipe and have a gin and tonic or an ice cold Straubs!
Are you from St. Mary’s ?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I like the char baskets and hinged cooking grate that Weber sells. Makes longer cooks easier to add charcoal. I do like the lump charcoal better. The briquettes seam to ash over more so than lump. The fit of the lid to lower bowl leaked alot of smoke so I used a thin felt gasket material on the underside of the lid to seal this area better. This fixed the leaking smoke, but also changed my temp settings. Now, if I need a little more temp for pizza or Stromboli, I just crack the lid a little. Great grill!!

Reactions: steelhead125

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Moved on from gas and now going with charcoal. Really enjoying it so far and hope to be cooking some venison on it come fall. Any pointers or tips would be appreciated.
Looks great. Another tip for what it is worth. Wait to put the butter pats on the steak until they are resting on a platter and covered with foil.

Reactions: steelhead125

·
Registered
189 Posts
No, Steelhead, I came across Straubs in Pittsburgh of all places over forty years ago. I've been a Straubs fan ever since, going back to the days when a six of "greenies" came in a plastic bag you could pack with ice to take along in the canoe while fishing. Its really a tradition with me and its good beer at a great price. It was a tradition with my fishing buddy and me for years and I still pack a couple of pounders in the cooler when I go fishing to drink a toast to departed friends.

·
Registered
9,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My wife has family from St Mary’s and Emporium and they get Straub all the time. Very refreshing beer and definitely a great price.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts