The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided a couple of years ago that I was going to stop waiting on friends to do some of the things I wanted to do. Most of my friends have gotten too soft to rough it anymore. I made the decision to start doing some hunting trips and if I was solo, so be it. I have posted brief summaries of the trips but I don't think I ever got around to posting this one.

ARCHERY ELK HUNT 9/7/16 through 9/17/16

I got back from my hunt in Colorado. It was my first attempt and it was an OTC archery hunt on public land that I did solo. I did see 4 elk and other wildlife but I wasn't able to get within bow range. I did see a group who had taken a bull with a muzzleloader. The elk seemed to vanish as the week went on. It was public land with unlimited tags so there was some hunting pressure. The altitude got to me a bit and that surprised me. I thought I was immune to that kind of thing. I was camping at over 10,000 feet. Here's some pics:

Elk tracks:

Elk:

coyote:

wallows:

·
Registered
680 Posts
I had a family reunion up there a couple years back. Wonderful country!! The altitude will wipe a guy out quickly!! Congrats on a fun hunt.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. It was a long drive - about 30 hours each way. It was a good learning experience and I intend to go back but hopefully with a friend.

I have been taking a lot of shorter trips too. I just wish I had more free time so I could do more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts