The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm going to attempt a rug mount on my bobcat. my nose to eye measurement is 1 5/8 and nose to back of skull is 5. i like the looks of the Vandyke rug shells but the sizes jump from 1 3/8 x 4 1/2 to 2 x 5 3/4. McKenzie has one that's 1 5/8 x 4 1/2 but no picture to look at and its 15 buck more.
my buddy who has been working with a taxi told me to get the 2 x 5 3/4? what do you guys recommend? it was a 33lb cat with a big blocky head. if it turns out i will do my sons 31lber also. his head measured the same as mine.

·
Banned
649 Posts
1 5/8 x4 1/2, it will fit the best! Plus if you have a little head slack it will fit better and wont look stretched !

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
looking at them rug shells again..... wonder if i measured wrong. the 1-5/8 x 4 1/2 is the smallest they have and there are 3 sizes bigger. this was a 33lb tom. they dont come much bigger than that. guess i will order it and if its too small i will just order the next up.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
will it measure right if i do it again after i get the hide out of the pickle or does it need to be taken while its on the head?

·
Registered
318 Posts
You will always get a better measurment while it is on the body. After it comes out of the pickle it will be shorter. You can measure it again if you want after it comes out of the tanning solution and you stretch it. Now generally I found a 1 5/8in. is going to be around a 20-25lb. This does change sometimes depending on what sex it is.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks not sure how but i must have measured wrong or something. i got the same measurement from my cat and my boys. both were big toms over 30 lbs. i just measured a mounted cat here at the house that was a 24lb female and that measures over 1 5/8. guess i will shoot for middle of the road. most cat mounts I've seen here in pa look alot smaller when they come back than when they were killed so i just couldn't see how a bigger than average cat would be at the smallest end of the products offed. it also intrigues me some the different measurements from van dike to Mackenzie. i see plenty of cats that just dont look right in the face. i wonder if there is a correlation.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just an example... i would think that most cats with an equal nose to eye would also have about the same overall head length. but vandykes form with a 2 in n-e is 5 3/4 and mackenzie is 2 x 5 1/4.
vandykes ranges from 1 x 2 1/4 to 2 x 5 3/4 and mackenzie runs from 1 5/8 x 4 1/2 to 2 1/4 x 6 1/2

·
Registered
318 Posts
This is something we deal with everyday. That's why we charge what we do. We can't make the skin fit the form, we make the form fit the skin.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
roger that i understand it takes alot of tinkering. i just dont want to tinker more than i have too. thanks for your help!

·
Registered
274 Posts
go with the closest size form cats eyes are tricky an you want to have the right size form, PS vandykes is now a mckenize company the shells are probly very similar

1 - 14 of 14 Posts