The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Make up some cards with your contact info on them. Take a clipboard with some catch pics on the top and a tablet to take thier info. Once you get one of thier neighbors names on it, it becomes easier. Ask them if they have problems with raccoons, almost everyone has. That gets you on the ground. Creating a relationship with those landowners keeps you on it. Once you gain permission become an asset to them any way you can. Explain your time frame in mind to trap property and stick to it. By telling a landowner you will, for example, be there for 2weeks it helps them say yes to knowing you won't be there for 3 months.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Oh yeah, if you wear a ball cap. Wear it. Be yourself.

I have as much or more permission than any trapper in my area and every permission was granted to my bald head under my ball cap. Unless we had not met and they called me to trap thier place.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good luck finding private ground to trap, theres a few good trappers in that area that I'm sure have most of the good land sowed up, but you never know till you ask ,on a good note you have a whole lot of good trapping on all the public land that's there

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Take a well behaved little kid along with you when asking permission, and tell them you and your partner here (nudge nudge) are looking to do a little trapping in the area.

Most people turn into softies around little kids.

Timing is huge in my experience and it's different for every land owner. I've driven by properties many times before the timing was right. Catch people at ease and do not disturb them when they are busy.
Be polite, complement their property, and smile. It will go a long way.

I don't think I've ever got trapping permission without my ball cap on. Except for in Church maybe.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
jls191 said:
Looking for advice on asking for permission to trap on peoples property or does anyone know people along RT 120 that allow trapping?

Jeffrey
Jeffrey, there's a trapping supply store just outside Lock Haven off route 120 heading N. toward Renovo, left hand side, that might be able to help you with private land contacts. Be advised the majority of the land between Lock Haven and Renovo along rout 120 is state owned, you don't need permission, but expect competition.
Good luck and have fun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts