The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, we finally signed a lease in Ohio this past weekend and we found a few perfect 1/4 acre clearings for food plots. Since we don't have the equipment we were thinking about taking rototillers to a couple of the spots and tilling it up. We tested the soil and it is just about right (we're going to add the needed lime and fertilizer). We were thinking about turnip/rape and winter wheat strips so the winter wheat can take some of the grazing. These spots are perfect due to their close proximity to bedding areas, thick cover, water sources, oaks, and prevailing wind. We were amazed at the locations! If we get these established they will be killing spots.

We know this is going to be time consuming but does anybody have any advice on using hand tools for these seeds and planting in strips? Any advice will help! Thanks.

Sam

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I would ask around to see if any neighbors would be willing to use their machines (if possible) for a small fee. You can still do it with the roto tillers, but man that will take forever.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah we know it will be time consuming but between the 3 of us we have access to 4 roto tillers ha! The farmer said if he is there he will till up the top field but the 1/4 acre bottom field will be an issue so we are looking at at least one 1/4 field done by "hand." Wish me luck!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
See if that farmer can help but if not...leave the roto tiller. Get a back pack sprayer and spray with round up. Come back in three weeks and broadcast the brassica and whatever seed straight into the sod/dead weeds. It takes more seed but less works and it will come up after a good rain.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
yup. brassica is a super small seed and easily falls into the soil enough to grow. maybe run over it with the tires of an atv or tractor for good measure. but it should work.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
BFMsam said:
Really? That will work? If so that would be awesome.
It works great.

I sprayed my clover plot on Saturday, a week ago, with Roundup and broadcast brassica into it. By Thursday, the brassica was sprouting. had some good rains in that time that really helped things.

Here is a pic of a plot I did on 40 year old sod by simply spraying and then broadcasting rape/turnips.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts