The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a CVA Kodiak Magnum a few weeks ago. I took it to the range and got it hitting the bulls eye within 3 shots. I really enjoyed shooting it and couldn't wait to get out today.

5:00am the alarm went off and my feet hit the floor. I was pumped! Got ready and left the house at 5:35 to make the 15 minute drive to Evansburg State park. I knew exactly where I wanted to go and wanted to be the first one there so I left myself enough time to make the walk.

I got myself set in plenty of time and watched the woods come alive. What a great time of year! The wind was picking up and not much was moving, but I was hearing some birds and just enjoying myself.

With the wind forecasted at 17mph I figured I would stay at my spot until about 8:30 and then still hunt back to the car through some thick briars where the deer often bed down.
Just as I was thinking about leaving I heard a twig snap behind me. It wasn't from the wind and I slowly turned to see a doe feeding not more than 25 yards behind me. She came in from a different direction than I was expecting!!!!

I slowly pulled the Kodiak up to my shoulder and put the crosshairs on her...but she stepped behind some spicebush (it seems to be everywhere!). I then noticed a second doe up the hill about 5 yards, but she didn't present good shot, either.

I watched as they slowly fed away up the hill. When they got into a clearing I center the crosshairs on the larger of the two, pulled back the hammer and squeezed the trigger...nothing! I tried again...nothing!!!! A third time...Nothing! I was in a state of shock/panic. Maybe I should have switched primers after the first misfire!

I dropped to my knees and switched my primer. The deer were unaware of my presense, but in the time it took me to change the primer, they fed even further away and again were in some brush. I took advantage of the wind and crept slowly a little closer. The bigger doe had turned behind a tree and I didn't see her looking at me as I knelt down.
We stared at each other for about 3 minutes and she presented me with a broadside shot. As I pulled the gun up, she stepped behind a tree. A twig snapped under my foot and off they went!!!!!
What an encounter within my first 2 hours of legal shooting light on my first MLer hunt! Not to be deterred I decided to still hunt back to the car.

On my way I found a ton of tracks and lots of sign, but never saw another deer. I did however find and collect about 3lbs. of fresh oyster mushrooms.
What a great morning in the PA woods!!!
I can't wait to go back out again!!!

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
Great story and a great sportsman.Lots of people would be mad and cuss and such.But you enjoyed the experience and showed pure class and put safety first.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'm just waiting for my wife to get home, and my son and I are going to go out for a walk. It's so windy, but I told hime we are just going for a hike. If we happen to see a nice doe, then so be it...........I'd really like to se one...lol.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Findme
It may of been your first Muzzleloader hunt BUT I am sure It will not be your last!!!!!
Dave

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DCabets - It certainly will not be my last muzzleloader hunt. I may use it throughout the "gun" season here in the SRA.

DFP - I didn't. I will take it to the range sometime this week. I don't plan on using it again until next Saturday. I will be archery hunting this week because I expect my urban area properties to be productive.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Great story--thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts