The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my first successful hunt today. Found 22 Yellows in Allegheny county.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Now that is a big morel !!! I wish they were all that big. Congrats!!

·
Registered
583 Posts
I also just found my first morels. The first one i found while hunting in NY. The other was a spot i suspected should have them and i went on my 4th outing to this place today and found 4. I hoping more pop by the weekend.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a question. Will Morel's regrow in the same spots they have already been picked?

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Found my first one tonight! Looked all around and did not find another. Is it common to just find one?

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Normally you'll find more than one, but I've found 1 before and no others.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Found 28 more today while turkey hunting at 2 different spots. Most were together but i did find one nice sized one all by its lonesome. They were all found under tulip poplar.

·
Registered
583 Posts
cope said:
Found 28 more today while turkey hunting at 2 different spots. Most were together but i did find one nice sized one all by its lonesome. They were all found under tulip poplar.
After further review, the lonesome one was not by itself, i found 2 others there the next day. I also found another new spot yesterday. Got 51 out of that spot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK, so here's the answer from a scientific standpoint. . .I hope it doesn't make you sorry you asked :/. . .

The actual body of a mushroom is underneath the ground. The part that we pick to eat is actually the reproductive structure, similar to another plant's flower. You should be able to pick the reproductive structure without damaging the main part of the mushroom underground, therefore ensuring that the mushroom will send out more, yummy reproductive structures next year. If you dig your mushrooms, however, you run the risk of damaging the main body of the mushroom that is underground. In that case, the mushroom might not survive to produce reproductive structures next year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts