The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son (30 yrs old) and I are looking to get 2 ATV's. He is 295 lbs and strong as a bull. I'm pushing 55 yrs. old, and stand a whoppin 5'7, so you can see he takes after his mom!!! We mainly want these for hunting, maybe some hauling or food plot prep down the road. I've narrowed the choices to the following:

Yamaha Griz 550
Honda Rincom
Kawasaki BF 650
Artic Cat 550
Can-Am Outland 650

Any recommendations or preferences. Are any historically a problem with maintenance or performance?

We were thinking of going in and looking for the best deal on 2 units the same, or would we get a better buy on 2 different units?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Can't go wrong with Kawasaki Brute Force 650, I have one after having a Polaris Explorer 300, and difference is amazing. I use it like you want to, hunting and a little yard and garden work. Also like to trail ride and it does all of these things well.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
If it was me id forget the Brute Force 650...no fuel injection. The Rincon doesnt have low range or a diff lock, so that would be out. The Cam Am is nice, that 650 is a power house. But no diff lock(which may not be a big deal). It would come down to the Artic Cat and Yamaha for me. Flip a coin.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
I have a 650 Prairie.....never had an issue...

Out of those listed...

My fav- 650 Brute Force
then either the A-C or Griz
then the Honda
my least fav would be the Can Am- only because the handling is so rough IMO.

My 02 Kawasaki has been through heck n back and still runs strong. The only thing that ever happened to me was I mudded it up so bad, one time, that it clogged the radiator and overheated on the ride back.....once I got it back to camp, hosed it off, it ran like a champ once again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have had great luck with my Arctic Cat . It has more ground clearance than others and the diff lock has gotten me out of some sticky situations . It has been very dependable.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I have the rincon and love it. most of its life I have beat the living crap out of it and it still keeps going. it isn't the fastest or the most powerful but you sit lower in the quad compared to the other listed which helps with handleing and when your in those technical situations keeps it from going to wrong way. if I was to buy the others I would buy the grizz then the kitty and then canam then the bruteforce.

point being is get out and try a few. I have rode all the ones you have mentioned and I am still happy with my rincon and doubt I would buy another quad.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I personally wouldn't worry about the fuel injection. I had a Suzuki Twin Peaks 700 (re-labeled Kawa Prairie 700) with no EFI before my current Brute Force 750i with EFI. I really can't tell a difference even in cold weather. The carborated quad may have taken a bit longer to warm up in the cold but no major difference.

As far as the Brute Force, I like it. The one thing I don't like about it is that there is no pull start in case your battery dies. There may be one on the 650 though.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
Springer...not sure on the BF but there is a pull start on the 650 Prairie...and it pull started like a smaller quad...very easy

·
Registered
864 Posts
i would chos the grizzly 550 first the power to weight ratio is the best i have an 09 700 grizz and absolutely love it from the front locker to how small and agile it is compared to other machines, i think yamaha has there stuff figured out

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Lifes2Fun said:
Springer...not sure on the BF but there is a pull start on the 650 Prairie...and it pull started like a smaller quad...very easy
L2F: I had a 2004 Praire 700 (marketed as a Suzuki Twin Peaks) and it had a pull start. I worked well and came in handy more than once. I bought a 2008 Brute Force 750i and discovered a couple months ago after my battery died that there was no pull start. I had to use my truck to jump it. I don't know why they removed it. I am not sure about the carborated models.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
if the brute is like my honda you need to be one heck of a man to pull start it. I can't pull start mine and wished they wouldn't have even put the option on there. the twins should be easier. I know my buddies prarie is very simple to start.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I would say the Artic Cat because it has the best hitch/haulng system if you are serious about putting it to work. Plus the 4wd system is great and it also has a low range. I wouldn't count out the Polaris, they have come a long way. The next would be the yamaha. I think the BF Canam and Rincon is more of a recreation quad, all different but that's my opinion. Fuel injection is a great feature that I wouldn't be without.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Grizzly 700 for the son
550 for you.
A Yamaha dealer may have one of each left from 09 you could tell him you want both..TODAY. Let's talk.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
The brute is a v-twin like the prairie. Wouldn't be too hard to start. I read that the brute efi is now available with the option of a pull start.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
I really want to get an ATV myself and have been looking as well. I plan on doing some research when I get home to find out what options there are. I have to get rid of my wifes motorcycle (2007 Honda 750 shadow) that she road like 2 or 3 times. I know that there is right around 500 miles on it. What a wasted investment that was. Anyways I am interested in this post and have the same questions. The Yamaha's are pretty nice, I like them on paper so far.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: First Time Buyers need help--I DID IT!!!

Went to the local Can-Am dealer and the local Yamaha dealer. Looked at comperable units and we went for 2 Yamaha Griz 550's - both without the power steering- both with winches. Can't wait to get mine home and start getting treestands in and getting winter food and mineral licks out.

Thanks for all your help and input.

·
Registered
942 Posts

In my opinion you made a great choice. Yamahas are extremely reliable machines.

·
Registered
871 Posts

Good choice. Never had an issue with my Yamaha.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts