The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I bought myself a dozen Day Six, 300 spine arrows with 50gr half outs. I assembled and fletched them up this weekend. When I assembled the arrows, I weighed each shaft and insert individually, and did my best to match the heaviest shafts and the lightest points to try and get every arrow to be the same weight. Well, after assembly and fletching, I weighed all of the arrows with the same 100 grain field point to get an idea on weight. Well, 11/12 arrows are within 2 grains of each other (Max 523.5, Min 521.6, Avg 522.5). I can live with this variation, and don't think I'm going to see any noticeable differences in impact with any of the arrows in this batch.

However, I do have one arrow that's coming in a bit lighter than the rest at 519.9gr. I assume the fix for this when I go to shoot these arrows this weekend is to try and find a head that's a tad heavier than 100gr to bring total weight up to match the rest of the arrows that are all +/- 2gr from each other.

Is this something that's relatively common to have happen, where 1 or 2 arrows is just a tad light or a tad heavy from the rest despite trying to match heavy shafts with light points?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Most people will never notice the difference between the really light arrow and the rest but i do similar to you. Figure out where the weight is missing and add it to the light arrow or just go with it. I highly doubt youll tell them apart.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
You will never get them all to be perfect! Mis-matching the light with the heavy will change your FOC but it will be so miniscule no human could tell the difference?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Unless your name is levi morgan you will never notice the difference. I doubt even levi would.

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
interesting reading, is there somewhere or some books that someone could get to study on how to make your own arrows or bolts for a crossbow . thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
interesting reading, is there somewhere or some books that someone could get to study on how to make your own arrows or bolts for a crossbow . thanks for any help.
I did a search for bare shaft crossbow bolts-- they are available online. I did a search through Lancaster Archery and did not see any bare shafts available. All the components are there (nocks, inserts, vanes, jigs, points, etc) but no bare shafts. (Unless I missed it). Given the poundage of most crossbows, and the short length of the bolt, and the initial force exerted on them, I would highly doubt that you are going to find a wide variety of spines available, but insert weight, nock configuration, tips, and vanes could be to your choice, as long as you keep to the bow specs. I am primarily a vertical bow person, but I have a crossbow. I do all my technical work (spine, shaft length, tip configuration, fletching, etc) on my vertical bow arrows for both 3D and hunting. When it comes to my crossbow, I view it the same as my .270 pump-- load it up, sight it in, and get good groups with what I have put in it. I look at it (crossbow) as a close range weapon when it's too cold to sit with a compound bow.

·
Registered
13,904 Posts
Shooting them will be more important that weighing them. Out of a dozen arrows there will be one, sometimes two, that shoot noticeably different than the rest, espessially with broadheads. Identify those rogues and switch components til they conform. If they can't be made to conform, don't use them. Turning or changing nocks or inserts usually does the trick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts