The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

So i am looking to buy my first AR, I cannot make up my mind and I feel like my head spins the more and more I research them.

I narrowed it down to 2-3 Colt 6920, S&W M&P Sport II, or the Ruger AR556.

I am leaning away from the S&W because I would really prefer an AR that is in FDE and I can't find hardly any like that. I did find several Ruger and Colt's in FDE on Gunbroker.com.

I don't want to break the bank especially I really probably won't end up shooting it that much, I really just want it for protection. I'm leaning towards the Ruger because of the price point but everything I read says Colt is the best hands down. Can anyone off some insight that may help me decide?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm going to venture a guess and say the Colt is a little more than the Ruger. Shooting wise, they both shoot about the same, same reliability, etc. It's going to come down to aesthetics and feel. Which do you like the look of better, and which feels better in your hands and when you shoulder and sight it. As far as colt being best hands down, that may well be because of the number of LE and Military agencies issuing it. My on duty rifle is a colt, if I was buying budget, it'd be the ruger in my safe. If you are going to spend on the colt, you may as well buy the SR-556.

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
Looks like you've already figured this part out...first advice would be to buy a 5.56 so you can shoot both 5.56 and .223.

Aside from the action (direct impingement vs. gas piston) the differences in AR's are hardly noticeable. So if you're not shooting much, any of the three would do the trick. Like Creekside says, I would go by price and aesthetics. Haven't shot the Ruger, but have never owned a Ruger rifle or handgun that wasn't a solid, reliable and accurate weapon.

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
Since it's for self-defense, I would also take into consideration what attachments you want (flashlight, laser, optics vs. open sights, front grip?) and see how they match up to the factory rail systems of each choice.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
these days a colt is just in the name... your paying a few extra $$ for it..
the 700-900$ market you are all most getting the same think just with a different name on it.
they are both nice.. S&W used to have r5 barrels now they don't.
most people dont remember when S&W sold there customers out for clinton the first time around.. but they were sold a few years later..
but Ruger has all ways been a name for a company that takes care of there customers... ruger is the way to go out of the three you have..
if you want to jump up in to the 1k range i would go with a sig m400 enhanced you can get it in fde
i got one right before sandy hook and it works grate

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
I have Colt and S&W. The S&W is the best buy in my opinion right now. The 6920 is a nice rifle but overpriced again in my opinion.

I have heard that the Ruger uses some proprietary parts. If that is true I would stay away from them.

Your in a unique situation right now. You have a lot of options and prices are competitive.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
you don't want to spend a lot of money on an AR

lets face it , they are not fancy hunting guns .
there for killing people,
so spend just enough to kill someone who has a better rifle,then take theirs.
put your cash into optics instead

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
If you want a solid AR, The Smith MP SPORT 2 is the one. Eats anything you feed it and very accurate... 525 on buds.. cant go wrong...

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
these days a colt is just in the name... your paying a few extra $$ for it..
the 700-900$ market you are all most getting the same think just with a different name on it.
they are both nice.. S&W used to have r5 barrels now they don't.
most people dont remember when S&W sold there customers out for clinton the first time around.. but they were sold a few years later..
but Ruger has all ways been a name for a company that takes care of there customers... ruger is the way to go out of the three you have..
if you want to jump up in to the 1k range i would go with a sig m400 enhanced you can get it in fde
i got one right before sandy hook and it works grate

Don't forget about Ruger selling their customers down the river also. I would go with the Colt

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I'm not expert as you can certainly drive yourself insane with the number of options, brands, parts, accessories on the market. I have a Palmetto State Armory and have had zero problems. Bought a complete lower off a friend some years ago and later added a complete upper and BCG when funds allowed. The only thing I would have done different was to not get an upper with a fixed front sight/gas block as now I want to mount a reddot and don't want to mess with raised mount/rail system. Eventually I'll get around to replacing the gas block but it's not urgent.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I was in your shoes a few years ago. I wound up doing a Palmetto State Armory build, which I highly recommend for a few reasons.

1. It allows you to spend good money on the important components (i.e. barrel, trigger assy, bolt carrier assy), and save money elsewhere.

2. It's usually cheaper.

3. You'll learn a lot more about your gun by building it than you do pulling it out of the box, and it's not nearly as difficult as it seems.

4. It's much easier to get the exact look and function that you want right off the bat. I know a few fellas that spent good money on a built gun, then spent even more money taking things off and adding new stuff to get what they wanted.

PSA sends emails regularly with good deals, and I have seen a few with FDE trim. I'd sign up for the email blasts and keep an eye on those for a few weeks. For guys like us that aren't dumping 10,000 rounds down the barrel a year, the PSA guns are just fine, and a great bargain overall.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone, I found a M&P Sport 2 that I really like, I'm leaning that way right now but I'm sure it will change lol.

I've had several people tell me to build one, I'm very handy and think I should be able to handle it but idk it still makes me nervous.

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
Thanks everyone, I found a M&P Sport 2 that I really like, I'm leaning that way right now but I'm sure it will change lol.

I've had several people tell me to build one, I'm very handy and think I should be able to handle it but idk it still makes me nervous.
Glad you found one you like...once you start tinkering with them, you'll find they are the simplest of designs. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts