The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my sons to the cabin for a little target shooting and came home with a tick. I think my total count for last year was 4 never had problems in the past years, but can't walk in the woods anymore w/out getting them on me

·
Registered
893 Posts
gonehuntin08 said:
Took my sons to the cabin for a little target shooting and came home with a tick. I think my total count for last year was 4 never had problems in the past years, but can't walk in the woods anymore w/out getting them on me
I'm in 4D also and that's the truth , never had a problem until a few yrs ago and then they just exploded and now if I even think about the woods I get them on me , why is that?

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
what do you guys use to repel ticks?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing as of yet, like hunterx said it's never been an issue. I've been hunting for almost 30yrs and up until last year I never had one on me. Whats good on the market to repel ticks?

·
Registered
893 Posts
I have been using that DEET stuff from walmart sold in the sporting goods section.
Put it on boots and pant legs before heading into the woods , works fairly well.
I have been told that it only repels and not kill , but as long as they stay off of me I don't care what the reason is.
Now I did by some stuff that is sold at Home Depo that alot of people are talking about , it's not really made for use on your person but you dilute it and it is something found in alot of other tick killer sprays , and the rumor is once your cloths are treated it lasts for about 2 weeks.
It's called "total kill insect killer". Keep in mind , this is something I have not personally used , only bought some and yet to try it.

·
Registered
12,676 Posts
I hunt sometimes just north of Butler in 2D and the ticks were just horrible last fall there!! I had to pick a ton of them off and out of me
Where are they all coming from? I have never seen it this bad. I never even had ticks on me until about 2 years ago.

·
Registered
893 Posts
octagon said:
Where are they all coming from? I have never seen it this bad.
Thats what I want to know!
They need to bring Alt back and have him work on this problem.
I think the game commission started stocking them in an effort to reduce the mountain lion population , cause I know this guy who's uncle saw a game commission 18 wheeler that was full of them!
I bet if asked , they'd only deny it tho.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
I hunt 2D and 2F and have gotten 2 in the last 3 years. Also took my dog to camp last week to stock trout and I found one on him yesterday!

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
there was a post on the forum last year that people shared what they used and whether it was successful.

·
Registered
145 Posts
if you are worried about your dogs..try frontline..or advantix(sp) we were in texas and my dog NEVER had a flea or tick on him and i never found 1 in the apt...matter of fact i need to get some bc it is about that time of the year

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Last Saturday,March 20th. I went for a walk along the Maiden Creek,Upper Berks County.I came home and found 11 ticks on me and had to do a "victory dance" in front of the mirror for a final check.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts