The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the (not so) Wee Man out for squirrels Saturday. We hit the area we bear hunt off of the Guitenville Rd. We were only about 10 yards up the gated road when the boy spied a hen. And by hen, I mean a beautiful hen of the woods mushroom. We were both pretty excited to say the least. We hurried up and picked it and put it in the truck. We made our way back up the trail and within 100 yards, we spotted a squirrel. The boy made a fantastic head shot on it putting the first squirrel of the year in the bag. After grabbing the squirrel, we stepped back onto the trail and the boy found a patch of black trumpet mushrooms. There's a reason why my shroom hunting buddy and I call him the truffle pig. The day brought two misses and two more small patches of black trumpets. All in all it was a great day.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
What kind of rifle did he use? I've been thinking of getting my son a .243, but think it might be too much for squirrel. Congrats on the first of the year! Sounds like a great day!

·
Super Moderator
12,504 Posts
A day you will always remember. I still remember my first squirrel 66 years ago. A grey squirrel with a 410 single shot shotgun my dad pointed out to me as it hid in a hickory tree.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What kind of rifle did he use? I've been thinking of getting my son a .243, but think it might be too much for squirrel. Congrats on the first of the year! Sounds like a great day!

That's a Steven's youth model .22lr ( I can't remember the model #) I got it for him a few years ago. Even though its got a youth stock he'll be able to use it the rest of his life. The scope on it was from my grandfather's deer rifle. As for a deer rifle for your boy, I'd give serious consideration to the 7mm-08. I got him one in a model 7. For the first couple years he used manage recoil rounds out of it. Now we've moved up to regular 139 grain rounds. He likes to bear hunt as well and the .243 he started out with is a little less rifle than I'd like him to use for bear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts