The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well today is the day im gonna get a brisket in the smoker. im a little nervous about how its going to turn out since ive never done this before but my game plan includes
1. 4.5lb brisket
2. 1lb bacon
3. Cheep brinkmen box smoker
4. kingsford charcol and pecan wood chips
5. spray bottle of apple juice

so i think im going to cover it with a dry rub that i throw together out of the spice cabnet heavy on the brown sugar to get a nice bark layer on the outside then drape the bacon across the top to let the fat sink down into my meat.
other then that i guess im just wingin it. if anyone has any little tips or pointers id like to hear them if not ill post pictures of this thing later on

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
i haven't ever done a brisket but look forward to seeing your results. good luck, i'll be doing some wings and peppers later

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I did my first one on July fourth. this is the rub I made, one half cup kosher salt, one quarter cup each onion powder and garlic powder and a teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper.. Rubbed it in and put in plastic bag and refrigerated over night. I used hickory chips for smoke for 2 hours and kept the temp at between 200 and 225 til I got an internal temp of 185 degrees, sprayed with a mixture of apple juice, beer and a small amount of cider vinegar then foiled and toweled and put in cooler for an hour. It was great. I am not sure the bacon will do what you want because it will not penetrate the brisket and the brisket should have internal fat running through it. I also put a pan of water under the brisket while cooking. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Sounds YUMMY!! Havent done a briket yet in my smoker. When I get a weekend im home with some time...definitely plan too!

Look fwd to hearing how it comes out.

Curious...whuts a good cut to get???

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You want to get the cut that has the layer of fat running through the center if you can find it and also should have a fat cap on top. That makes for a much moister brisket when it is cooked. When you cut it, cut it thin on the bias accross the grain.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the help john s i did scrap the bacon idea when i unwraped that thing and saw the fat cap on the back i dident have the time to let it sit over night but im sure my results wont be to bad can i ask why you foiled it and put it in the cooler for an hour tho?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It will continue to cook off the fire and as it cools the juices that were drawn to the outside will migrate back into the meat and it won't all run out when you cut it making it dry. The foil and the towel will help it cool slowly. It will still be hot when you unwrap it. BTW, I also put about a teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper in the rub.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh man it turned out amazing i couldent take any pictures for some reason and it dident last to long
im trying that bacon explosion thing tomarow maybe my camra will work then

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
Glad to hear it turned out good, i am gonna have to try one sometime

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I also did my first brisket over the weekend. It was a 7 pounder. Just a dry rub. No Mopping. Done over apple wood. Royal oaks lump charcoal. I didn't hear any complaints and was lucky to get some for myself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts