The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

First single shot

4K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  aswallace911 
#1 ·
Just got my first single shot over the weekend. A ruger no 1 in 6mm. Ive wanted one of these for a long time and finally decided to pull the trigger and buy one. Hopefully it shoots as good as the ruger 77 in 6mm i sold to help pay for it! Absolutely love the wood on this thing. Shes heavy but i plan on taking it down to Maryland for sika deer and here in pa.

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
I have the last of my 80gr barnes ttsx loaded up in a 8 shot ladder test with hybrid 100v to see what kind of flat spots i get in velocity. Also just ordered some 90gr nosler accubonds that were seconds. So ill probably be using them unless i hit a flat spot i like with the barnes ill order more of them.

#10 ·
Beautiful rifle for sure. In my experience, they're not the most accurate rifle out there, but plenty accurate for hunting purposes. Nice caliber. The No. 1 is just a classic rifle. My wife has one in .220swift. I'd like to get one in a larger caliber some day 45-70 or something similar.

#13 ·
I have had several #1 s and ended up selling all of them frustrated with accuracy issues. I always wanted a #1 in the International but shied away because I figured I would just end up unhappy with it. I decided awhile back that if Ruger came out with a walnut and blue #1 International in an interesting caliber I would buy it, It would certainly be accurate enough to kill a PA. Mountain buck. I got on a Ruger forum and found a discussion on this model. Two different guys posted they had latter models that if shot slowly 1 shot at a time were moa or better. Couple of years a go they made a run or .257 Roberts. I bought one. First day out, allowing 5 min. Between shots I shot a 3 shot tight cloverleaf at 100 yds about 3/8 of an inch. I laughed at the dumb luck, but was happy. Next morning I duplicated it, now I was shocked. I have killed 3 bucks with it, all 1 shot under 100 yds. Only ever shot 1 more group it was a perfect triangle about 3/4 inch. It has been enjoyable shooting it. Only has about 25 rounds fired out of it but now in my 70 s I have started cleaning out some hunting rifles and it is going to go up for sell but it has been a fun expereince. Number 1 s are beautiful rifles.:grin2:

#12 ·
I wanted one since I first saw them on the back of the American rifleman mag in about 1968, I was 12. Got one and only one in 1976, red butt pad, made in 1976 on barrel and shoots very well, . mine is in an 30/06 and seemed to like 125 loads, great gun enjoy

#14 ·
Beautiful rifle. I have a soft spot for single shots as well. I have a browning 1885 low wall .243 that has put a lot of meat on the table. Also have a no. 1 .220 Swift that shoots 1/2” groups 10 days a week. Great rifles all around, and I firmly believe knowing you have just one shot improves your shooting, as well as what shots you take.

#16 ·
Great piece on wood on that one! I always wanted one too so I bought the full stock international in .257 Roberts a couple years ago it shoots 110 grain Accubonds really well. I've since permanently loaned it to my dad it has become his go to for deer and bear

#17 ·
Nice rifle, I have two one in .243 and the other a .270 Weatherby Mag. They will shoot as accurate as you can shoot them. Don't know how many rifles you have in the safe but I can almost guarantee that the #1 will be front and center.

#18 ·
I owned two Ruger No. 1's. The first a Light Sporter in 30/06. I bought it in the late 1970's. It shot lights out accurate and had the most highly figured wood I have ever seen on one. It was burled. The second was a Standard Rifle in 7MM Rem. Mag. I acquired in the early 1980's. Wood was plain and the accuracy was nothing to write home about. Not really sorry to see that one go however I miss the 06 Light Sporter. Wish I had that one back. If it does not shoot well at first, do not give up right away and experiment with loads. You may find one that is very good. Have fun! WTT

#19 ·
Nice score OP!
My first single shot was a #1B in .243 around '78.
Killed a fair number of woodchucks with it.

Got a little RSI a couple yrs back, popped a deer.

Don't own any at the moment.........so there's a "space" for a #1A in .243 ;)

#21 ·
Thanks for the responses. I absolutely love this gun. Its a contender for my opening day gun this year. Got it dialed in with 90gr accubonds. Actually was pretty easy to find a load. .01 off the lands and im getting an average velocity of 3122fps. I think i could probably fool some more and maybe get it a little tighter but for now im happy with that. Should take a whitetail or a sika down no problem.

Attachments

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.